Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sailfish OS 1.0 Announced, Sailfish Soon On Android

Why do they need to do legal review on the UI? Didn't they code it all themselves? Also, if they're violating patents then using a proprietary copyright doesn't protect them; I guess it does if you can only spot the patent violation by looking at code.

Quote Originally Posted by nll_a View Post
    Oh yeah, no surprise there. This is the Phoronix forums after all.
    But if I really wanted to be serious about going that route, I would need to toss in something about Lennart's systemd cabal that is trying to ruin Linux, claim that dbus is terrible, and troll about one of the *BSDs

No, in reality I have just never been that excited about the web or web technologies as an application platform, whether it was from Mozilla or Palm/HP or anyone.
    Canonical clearly wants to do their own thing, maybe to someday be to Linux what Apple is to BSD. And that is fine, but I just prefer not to be part of it.

Quote Originally Posted by GreatEmerald View Post
    Care to share any more successful attempts at achieving it? The current state is not ideal, but it's still way, way better than we had just recently, when everything was Android, Windows Phone or other completely locked and controlled platforms. I find your position to be rather ungrateful; Jolla is a big step in the right direction and they seem determined to continue making steps towards it, thus they deserve the credit.
    Well, the Firefox phones are being relatively sucessful as far as I can tell, so here we go. My position is just that I'd rather support projects which value openness and freedom and start writing FOSS from the beginning, whether I agree with everything they do or not. Jolla surely deserve credit for lots of things, I don't deny that, but personally I only make exceptions for proprietary games and drivers, so a closed user interface (which may be small in code but for common users is very big stuff) is a really hard thing for me to swallow.

Quote Originally Posted by KellyClowers View Post
    But if I really wanted to be serious about going that route, I would need to toss in something about Lennart's systemd cabal that is trying to ruin Linux, claim that dbus is terrible, and troll about one of the *BSDs

No, in reality I have just never been that excited about the web or web technologies as an application platform, whether it was from Mozilla or Palm/HP or anyone.
    Canonical clearly wants to do their own thing, maybe to someday be to Linux what Apple is to BSD. And that is fine, but I just prefer not to be part of it.
    Ok, I understand. Fair enough. I never cared for web stuff either.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaz View Post
    Why do they need to do legal review on the UI? Didn't they code it all themselves? Also, if they're violating patents then using a proprietary copyright doesn't protect them; I guess it does if you can only spot the patent violation by looking at code.
    Why do you think jolla screens are vertical instead of horizontal?
    It's not all about the code manufactures can also use design patents for horizontal screens and so on.
    Yes, that might be the case, but that's not a hard thing to achieve, is it?
    If you want FOSS then use Nemo but you still need to use Qualcomm firmware and some closed drivers, i don't know how much that works with FOSS drivers or how good it works since i haven't tried.

Quote Originally Posted by Nille_kungen View Post
    Why do you think jolla screens are vertical instead of horizontal?
    It's not all about the code manufactures can also use design patents for horizontal screens and so on.
    That is my point. Closing up the source code does not protect you from a patent claim on that in any way. (Is there seriously a patent on horizontal screens? Shit like that makes me feel that patents should just be abolished wholesale, they are more trouble then they're worth.)

By the by, people have said here before that Jolla's approach to patents is to just not sell their phones in the US, because the US allows software patents and the European countries don't. I can't vouch for that though.

I am not really into Jollas work, but technicaly I find ubuntu os and firefox os fail... I did even install a preview on my phone of ubuntu, its design is just retarded if you connect a monitor you get a real linux, if not you cant use normal linux (x11) tools.

That maybe makes some sense for a mobile phone but they handle tablets the same way, and a tablet of course needs to be able to function more or less like a normal pc, and I dont want to wait till they reprogramm every single programm that exist for gnu/linux as open good option.

So unfree drivers is one thing, look at replicant.us The question is, are other parts the gui easy to fix (remove unuseful anti-feature blobs).

You said there is wayland so could I just replace their propriatary gui with lets say gnome-shell or fluxbox or enlightenment by yum remove blob install gnome-shell... ?

I mean even for the replicant there is no gnu-tools included you have this garbage replacements where you fucking bite on your tung when it just is full of bugs and has bad/none wrong parameters, or just are not there.

you try to do simple things that would take you 5 mins on a gnu/linux system but because everything is fucked up you try 3hours then quit trying it (tried adn failed to install a chroot linux fedora I belive on a nexus 7 2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Chaz View Post
    By the by, people have said here before that Jolla's approach to patents is to just not sell their phones in the US, because the US allows software patents and the European countries don't. I can't vouch for that though.
    But that's a great approach. Every software company should do that. Maybe then the US would realize how stupid patents are.

Quote Originally Posted by blackiwid View Post
    I did even install a preview on my phone of ubuntu, its design is just retarded if you connect a monitor you get a real linux, if not you cant use normal linux (x11) tools.
    Are you talking about this (which is a bug and will be fixed) or about not being able to run Gimp, Inkscape on the phone?

Are you talking about this (which is a bug and will be fixed) or about not being able to run Gimp, Inkscape on the phone?
    ubuntus touch design is like I said, you have a different desktop and special apps for your phone, they made some few apps till know and if they did not change something you will not be able to start gimp from the ubuntu-touch-os.

Maybe I am wrong and they will change that its additionaly possible to do that too. But then this would be for now a wet dream or a paper-release or something like that.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Touch/CoreApps

At least it has no priority to canonical to make that work, because they belive in apps and that nobody not much of their customers want to run gimp on a small phone screen (what makes sense for a phone but not for a tablet).

The Idea is, that you have a phone with small apps that you can use on a Monitor as a normal ubuntu pc. THATS the idea, if they make it possible by accident that normal apps will run too someday we will see. but then they would need to change the sizes of buttons and menus and stuff from the normal programms.

I think they see the phone as their primary target for that this aproach makes sense, you can then install a normal Ubuntu or other linux on a tablet... So ubuntu touch supports some tablets but normaly it makes no sense.

Quote Originally Posted by blackiwid View Post
    You said there is wayland so could I just replace their propriatary gui with lets say gnome-shell or fluxbox or enlightenment by yum remove blob install gnome-shell... ?
    This was already answered:
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatEmerald View Post
    You can run any GNU/Linux program on it (as long as it's compiled for ARM and its dependencies met, naturally; you can also make use of Mer Build Service to create the RPMs). Those proprietary things are also completely optional, nothing is stopping you from installing the Nemo UI on the device. And you don't need to root it, and you can unlock the bootloader with provided tools (so you can probably even install vanilla Gentoo or such on it if you want). And, unlike most phone manufacturers, warranty is not void if you do that (unless obviously you do something that is definitely your fault, like overclocking it until it dies).