No announcement yet.

Sailfish OS 1.0 Announced, Sailfish Soon On Android

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am not really into Jollas work, but technicaly I find ubuntu os and firefox os fail... I did even install a preview on my phone of ubuntu, its design is just retarded if you connect a monitor you get a real linux, if not you cant use normal linux (x11) tools.

That maybe makes some sense for a mobile phone but they handle tablets the same way, and a tablet of course needs to be able to function more or less like a normal pc, and I dont want to wait till they reprogramm every single programm that exist for gnu/linux as open good option.

So unfree drivers is one thing, look at replicant.us The question is, are other parts the gui easy to fix (remove unuseful anti-feature blobs).

You said there is wayland so could I just replace their propriatary gui with lets say gnome-shell or fluxbox or enlightenment by yum remove blob install gnome-shell... ?

I mean even for the replicant there is no gnu-tools included you have this garbage replacements where you fucking bite on your tung when it just is full of bugs and has bad/none wrong parameters, or just are not there.

you try to do simple things that would take you 5 mins on a gnu/linux system but because everything is fucked up you try 3hours then quit trying it (tried adn failed to install a chroot linux fedora I belive on a nexus 7 2013)

Comment

Originally posted by nll_a
      Are you talking about this (which is a bug and will be fixed) or about not being able to run Gimp, Inkscape on the phone?
      ubuntus touch design is like I said, you have a different desktop and special apps for your phone, they made some few apps till know and if they did not change something you will not be able to start gimp from the ubuntu-touch-os.

Maybe I am wrong and they will change that its additionaly possible to do that too. But then this would be for now a wet dream or a paper-release or something like that.

At least it has no priority to canonical to make that work, because they belive in apps and that nobody not much of their customers want to run gimp on a small phone screen (what makes sense for a phone but not for a tablet).

The Idea is, that you have a phone with small apps that you can use on a Monitor as a normal ubuntu pc. THATS the idea, if they make it possible by accident that normal apps will run too someday we will see. but then they would need to change the sizes of buttons and menus and stuff from the normal programms.

I think they see the phone as their primary target for that this aproach makes sense, you can then install a normal Ubuntu or other linux on a tablet... So ubuntu touch supports some tablets but normaly it makes no sense.

Comment

Originally posted by blackiwid View Post
        You said there is wayland so could I just replace their propriatary gui with lets say gnome-shell or fluxbox or enlightenment by yum remove blob install gnome-shell... ?
        This was already answered:
        Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
        You can run any GNU/Linux program on it (as long as it's compiled for ARM and its dependencies met, naturally; you can also make use of Mer Build Service to create the RPMs). Those proprietary things are also completely optional, nothing is stopping you from installing the Nemo UI on the device. And you don't need to root it, and you can unlock the bootloader with provided tools (so you can probably even install vanilla Gentoo or such on it if you want). And, unlike most phone manufacturers, warranty is not void if you do that (unless obviously you do something that is definitely your fault, like overclocking it until it dies).

Comment

Originally posted by TAXI View Post
          This was already answered:
          sry missed that... thats great No lets hope they sell such Tablets and they have customer more

Comment

I don't think I understood exactly what you would call a "non-retard design", but by 14.10 Ubuntu is supposed to have a single codebase across form factors, and applications which dynamically adapt their UI to desktops, tablets, phones, toasts, or whatever, so by then we could use the same app, have a similar experience anywhere. That's the Ubuntu convergency design, and running desktop apps on phones or running phone apps on desktops is not part of it, but theoretically you could do that. I think that's a big plus for the platform, in comparison to others' approach.

As to Firefox OS, whether you think it fails technically or not isn't the point, the point is it's a platform achieving some relative success while being developed completely in the open and with no proprietary technologies, showing that it's completely doable.
            You can run Ubuntu Touch apps on dekstop just fine.In fact by 14.10 they are thinking making them avaiable in Ubuntu by default.
            http://askubuntu.com/questions/35572...ubuntu-desktop

Comment

and running desktop apps on phones or running phone apps on desktops is not part of it, but theoretically you could do that. I think that's a big plus for the platform, in comparison to others' approach.
              maybe theoreticaly but practicaly it did not work and if you dont proof me different I guess it does still not work.

So theoreticaly you can tweak everything thats opensource to do everything, but thats not the question the question is whats the goal of canonical here, and what is working in reality.

Its not the design, and it does not work and there is nowhere a document that says its the goal to get that working.

Thats the problem in my oppinion.

The difference is with that ability you can start thausends of high quality foss software vs you can start 10 alpha-apps from ubuntu made and someday shurly the usual app-crap like you find in the android stores with less features and many anti-features.

Comment

Man, I honestly still didn't get what it is exactly you want. Sorry.
                hmm I just wanted to say that ubuntus conzept is to have a mobile-os with special apps for the phone that you can plug on a monitor and have there a normal linux.

You said than that you could do that theoreticly.

I said (or tried to) say that 1. its practicaly is not able to do that right now 2. canonical does not plan to give you this posibility. So it does not really matter that this theoreticaly should be possible.

Another point is that you must deinstall Mir and install Wayland if even easy possible to get a real free stack. (Yes I know Mir is also free, but I dont want such software from such amateurs)

Canonical is a bit like apple. they are a marketing company only, they do make good marketing do not much technicaly themself, and hope that some other who fall for their buzz do the real work for them.

But ok I get off-topic.

We will see what happens. maybe I am unfair, for a phone I maybe want special mobile apps and for tablet I want a normal desktop-linux, and from Jolla I dont get a free mobile-os where you can run mobile apps on a complete free stack.

EDIT: maybe I miss-read your last post or mixed it up with somebody others ^^ to late to check that now ^^

Comment

Working...
                X