Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The NVIDIA GTX 750 Ti Maxwell Continues Running Great On Linux

Phoronix: The NVIDIA GTX 750 Ti Maxwell Continues Running Great On Linux

Back on Tuesday I delivered a launch-day review of the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti on Linux. This first graphics card built on NVIDIA's new Maxwell architecture has been running fantastic under Linux for being a mid-range graphics card. The GM107 GPU core found on the GTX 750 Ti is incredibly power efficient, as was shown in numerous articles on launch-day. For those curious more about the GeForce GTX 750 Ti Linux performance, here are some more OpenCL and OpenGL performance results.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I'm about to buy one of these cards. Does anyone know if MSI is a good/reputable brand?

Comment

They're decent (I ended up on MSI 750 Ti's as well, haven't shipped yet though).

Comment

@michael good test especially: uniengine heaven and sanctuary

Very good you tested various screen resolutions (since lower 800x600 and 1080p and upper resolutions), hopefully this behavior could repeated on games tests, many user played on resolutions lower than 1080p

Thanks for your test, waiting for your next test, if nvidia provides you GTX 750 (Non Ti), you can make benchmark vs GTX650 (Non TI), in this cards maxwell upgrade its very impressive

This is link for anandtech (thanks to anandtech for very good article) article with GTX750 (Non Ti) vs GTX 650 (Non Ti) on same article appears more cards but especially in this 2 cards appears performance fps boost

Comment

Originally posted by wargames View Post
          I'm about to buy one of these cards. Does anyone know if MSI is a good/reputable brand?
          MSI cards are good but they are always OCd and the ones I've used with Linux rev up whenever I do something simple like play a video due to their BIOS power settings, which I cannot control under Linux. My GTS 450 is whirring away in my PC right now and I'm not even doing anything that requires GPU power. Given that the bulk of these cards are dual-fan designs, I'd be hesitant to get one for myself until there are more reference designs available for compact systems like the one I have. I suspect there will also be more cards around the holiday season packing HDMI 2.0 and DisplayPort while the current ones are just DVI/VGA/HDMI 1.4 for the most part.

Comment

Originally posted by TheLexMachine View Post
            MSI cards are good but they are always OCd and the ones I've used with Linux rev up whenever I do something simple like play a video due to their BIOS power settings, which I cannot control under Linux. My GTS 450 is whirring away in my PC right now and I'm not even doing anything that requires GPU power. Given that the bulk of these cards are dual-fan designs, I'd be hesitant to get one for myself until there are more reference designs available for compact systems like the one I have. I suspect there will also be more cards around the holiday season packing HDMI 2.0 and DisplayPort while the current ones are just DVI/VGA/HDMI 1.4 for the most part.
            For something like the 750Ti, I doubt noise would be much of a problem. When OCed, they barely heat up. You could also try using a BIOS editor in Windows to either tweak the clock speeds or the fan speeds. I haven't used a graphical utility for nvidia in a long time so I'm sure there's some nice new advanced things you can do by now. I personally use a Windows based tool to modify the BIOS of my AMD GPUs.

@TheLexMachien
            MSI today is good. I remember back when they used to make mostly cheap parts but today they seem to care about competing with companies like Asus and Gigabyte. I don't think I've ever bought an MSI product for myself, but not because I was trying to avoid them.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
              For something like the 750Ti, I doubt noise would be much of a problem. When OCed, they barely heat up. You could also try using a BIOS editor in Windows to either tweak the clock speeds or the fan speeds. I haven't used a graphical utility for nvidia in a long time so I'm sure there's some nice new advanced things you can do by now. I personally use a Windows based tool to modify the BIOS of my AMD GPUs.

@TheLexMachien
              MSI today is good. I remember back when they used to make mostly cheap parts but today they seem to care about competing with companies like Asus and Gigabyte. I don't think I've ever bought an MSI product for myself, but not because I was trying to avoid them.
              Avoid reference cards, they are noisier than modified cards (modified heatsink). Factory OC has almost nothing to do with noise, generally there is no problem with fan control, as long as you're using the proprietary driver... Modified cards are quite better than they used to be, so I don't think the problem on your GTS 450 would still be present on Kepler/Maxwell cards.

Comment

Originally posted by TheLexMachine View Post
                I'm talking about this one: http://media.msi.com/main.php?g2_itemId=105381

The overclocking seems to be lower than the "gaming" model, but I don't think it's really important because of its low power consumption.

Comment

Originally posted by wargames View Post
                  I'm talking about this one: http://media.msi.com/main.php?g2_itemId=105381

The overclocking seems to be lower than the "gaming" model, but I don't think it's really important because of its low power consumption.
                  Aiye, that's the model I got. Will post experiences later.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
                    Aiye, that's the model I got. Will post experiences later.
                    Yes, please!

Comment

Working...
                    X