Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RadeonHD DRM Begins To Show

Phoronix: RadeonHD DRM Begins To Show

The RadeonHD DRM isn't yet in a usable state to end-users, but Matthias Hopf has pushed his latest RadeonHD work into his personal git tree. DRM is now able to initialize on an RS690 GPU, but DRI isn't working yet...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Maybe you should note that that's the Direct Rendering Manager and not something with Digital Rights Management. :-)

Comment

Originally posted by ernstp View Post
      Maybe you should note that that's the Direct Rendering Manager and not something with Digital Rights Management. :-)
      WHAT?!? Still no Bluray support?

Comment

Hah, that's what I was wondering.
        "I can't wait until my video card restricts access to my digital media!!!"

Comment

For anyone who isn't on the radeonhd mailing list, Matthias has the DRI support working on radeonhd in his development branch. We're using RS690 (X12xx) for initial testing. Matthias was playing TORCS at 1680x1050 resolution on an RS690 -- it was a bit sluggish (maybe 20 fps) but looked surprisingly good. At smaller screen resolutions it ran real nice. Matthias's announcement, including the location of his dri-support branch, is at :

http://lists.opensuse.org/radeonhd/2.../msg00011.html

This is a pretty significant milestone for radeonhd. Now that DRI support is running in radeonhd it can make use of all the mesa and drm work done over the last couple of months, and all the EXA and Textured Video code can now be ported across to radeonhd and run largely unchanged. Prior to this we could only use the MMIO (direct register access) acceleration code on radeonhd, not the faster and more versatile CP (command processor / DMA) paths.

Right now you need to use radeonhd code from Matthias's personal repository on freedesktop.org, drm from master, and (possibly) the r500-support branch of mesa. The mesa code from master is probably OK, but Matthias had to add a couple of IDs to work with his laptop (Compaq 6715b) and those changes are only in the r500-support mesa branch right now.

We haven't tested with r5xx yet but anyone feeling like giving it a try should definitely use the r500-support mesa branch.

For clarity, when Matthias mentioned that the DRI support code "didn't work with acceleration" that meant "didn't coexist with 2D acceleration" -- 3D acceleration works fine
          Last edited by bridgman; 09 May 2008, 05:16 AM.
          Test signature

Comment

Working...
          X