No announcement yet.

Ubuntu 14.04 LTS Adds Support For Local Menus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So they finally realized that global menus is a broken idea? Took them only 3 years to realize that!

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
      Do people have such tiny displays that a menu bar and title bar take up too much of their view?

The large fonts and huge GTK widgets are far bigger space wasters than the menu bar.
      On my eeepc I have 1024x600. I'm using KDE with the 'netbook' workspace which has global menu on in the top window bar, no task bar and runs all apps full screen. Believe me, this is what you would want too on this screen.

Of course on my dual monitor desktop I have KDE with the desktop workspace, local menus and task bar.

I switched from ubuntu to kubuntu even before they started unity.

Comment

Originally posted by ferry View Post
        On my eeepc I have 1024x600. I'm using KDE with the 'netbook' workspace which has global menu on in the top window bar, no task bar and runs all apps full screen. Believe me, this is what you would want too on this screen.

Of course on my dual monitor desktop I have KDE with the desktop workspace, local menus and task bar.

I switched from ubuntu to kubuntu even before they started unity.
        it's not a global menu, it's just a window without decorations, and with toolbars cut down but it's still local menus

Comment

Originally posted by who_me View Post
          How the fuck are you now saving space? I just showed you that you get a bigger area to render stuff on. It means that they are using the available screen area more efficiently than other DEs which *is* the point of the whole debate.
          Being proven wrong is no reason to curse.

Comment

Yeap, I have that one as well. But it's running Gentoo and Razor-qt for optimal performance. While it is cramped at times, I haven't really had any issues with menus and whatnot (well, Openbox window decorations are pretty slim by default, anyway). Even QGIS looks good enough on it.

Comment

Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post
              it's not a global menu, it's just a window without decorations, and with toolbars cut down but it's still local menus
              AFAIK it's called a global menu.

If not, I don't care how KDE calls it. They remove the menu from each application window, then add a widget that shows the menu to the task bar, remove the task switching widget and then move the task bar to the top. Further they remove the title bar of each window.

Unfortunately they also add a large non-sensical widget that swtiches between activities, but since I don't use those I just remove that one.

So, everything is in one bar now, title, switchers, menu. Saves 2 bars compared to regular desktop.

Like a screenshot?

Comment

AFAIK it's called a global menu.

If not, I don't care how KDE calls it. They remove the menu from each application window, then add a widget that shows the menu to the task bar, remove the task switching widget and then move the task bar to the top. Further they remove the title bar of each window.

Unfortunately they also add a large non-sensical widget that swtiches between activities, but since I don't use those I just remove that one.

So, everything is in one bar now, title, switchers, menu. Saves 2 bars compared to regular desktop.

Like a screenshot?
                Yeah give me a screenshot, I switched over to plasma netbook on the VM to check what you said out, and moved around a window and at least on mageia the shell basically just removed the decorations without a global menu (see post #33)

Comment

kde sucks!

Comment

Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post
                    I think I've proven my point
                    On the right, where's the top bar? Also, is that a render? If not, what environment is it.

Comment

Originally posted by who_me View Post
                      You seem not to understand how this menu works.

When the window is not minimized you remove the menubar and move it to the top. In the actual application window you now have the space that was occupied previously by the menu bar.

When the window is maximized, in a normal DE, you'd get the title bar+menu bar. In Unity, the title bar becomes the menu bar, thus you save that bit of space which would be occupied by the title bar.

And no, it's not the same as on Mac OS X. The title bar of the window will be there when the window is maximized, so they (Apple) *do* waste space.
                      Thanks for saving me the effort. I was getting tired of reading the nonsense that the Unity global menu doesn't save space when it's so obvious it does.

Unity haters: stop. There's no one forcing you to use it. You don't understand it (as is painfully obvious) because you don't want to. Just let it go.

Comment

Working...
                      X