Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 82

Thread: Linux Web Usage Almost Doubled, Now At ~2%?

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    221

    Default only detals

    Quote Originally Posted by sarmad View Post
    Is ChromeOS actually Linux? Yes, it uses the Linux kernel but that's not what people refer to when they say Linux. By Linux they usually mean GNU/Linux and ChromeOS is not a GNU/Linux OS.
    only details, the problem here is the marketing, most of people don t know android using linux kernel... i talk with people and when i talk about that their look to me with their stupid eyes!, and donīt believe in my word, because in their minds linux is a monster

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    141

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cann View Post
    As for a guess for if they were accurate, I personally would guess because of Google and its partners' Chromebook success.
    Do people somewhere really use that crap? That's odd.

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    221

    Default i agree!

    Quote Originally Posted by nll_a View Post
    Do people somewhere really use that crap? That's odd.
    i don t see the point of chrome OS. we cant do nothing there, its chrome nothing more

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    1

    Default the percentage refers to about sold distributions !

    Most people don't see the real fact about the percentage. The percentage in public about Linux
    is only concerning sold distributions on the market of operating-systems ?! - or not ?!

    But the percentage simply by free available downloads is much higher ! I would estimate
    this between 5 and 10 percent today. Interesting will be, what comes up by March and April, when
    time of Windows XP expires. Where will 40 % of Windows XP go to ?! Windows 8 still has no
    real fall-out with sold DVDs ... normally it should be a higher percentage by now for Windows 8, but
    many dont want to buy another Windows after 7, facing the news that Windows 9 is planned for
    April 2015 (and it will have the codes of Trusty Thar in April 2014 ... ).

    It will be really interesting until end of year 2014 for Linux, and by this year, we then know
    how Linux will be more popular to more people than in the past.

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    339

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Andrecorreia View Post
    only details, the problem here is the marketing, most of people don t know android using linux kernel... i talk with people and when i talk about that their look to me with their stupid eyes!, and donīt believe in my word, because in their minds linux is a monster
    No, the problem is not marketing, it's a technical difference. When you say Linux people expect that you can run GNU/Linux apps on it. You cannot run GNU apps neither on Android nor on ChromeOS and that's why people, rightfully, don't think of Android or ChromeOS as Linux.

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    270

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sarmad View Post
    No, the problem is not marketing, it's a technical difference. When you say Linux people expect that you can run GNU/Linux apps on it. You cannot run GNU apps neither on Android nor on ChromeOS and that's why people, rightfully, don't think of Android or ChromeOS as Linux.
    That's why they should tag it Google/Linux or Chrome/Linux to clarify the incompatibility.

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    224

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BSDude View Post
    That's why they should tag it Google/Linux or Chrome/Linux to clarify the incompatibility.
    No. GNU/Linux was invented due to RMS zealots. They didn't accept the fact that Linux and modern apps mostly replaced GNU. GNU was mostly targeted towards command line. Besides many Linux systems have majority of apps not coming from GNU and can have BSD alternatives. Likewise if Android fellows feel they did the most job, you don't need to give credit to Linux at all. They even use BSD stuff instead so there's very little GNU in Android. Probably not at all. It's definitely not GNU/Android/Linux. More like 90% Android, 10% Linux. It would just hurt their sales if someone associated good phones with neckbeards.

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Austin, TX, USA
    Posts
    54

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Andrecorreia View Post
    i don t see the point of chrome OS. we cant do nothing there, its chrome nothing more
    Stick Crouton on it and add Ubuntu or Debian and you've got a cheap, full-featured Linux laptop.

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    384

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by caligula View Post
    you don't need to give credit to Linux at all.
    You don't need to give credit for the kernel which is the most important and most complex piece of software? Note: There is no such thing as "Linux stuff", that's called GNU (or BSD userland or Android or whatever), Linux is the kernel only.
    So why do we name our OS like the kernel on Desktop but like the userspace on mobile?

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    224

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TAXI View Post
    You don't need to give credit for the kernel which is the most important and most complex piece of software? Note: There is no such thing as "Linux stuff", that's called GNU (or BSD userland or Android or whatever), Linux is the kernel only.
    So why do we name our OS like the kernel on Desktop but like the userspace on mobile?
    The Android VM is almost like a secondary OS on top of Linux and BSD userland. You target this and not native platform. They also want you to not think about the lower levels.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •