Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Look At The New Gedit GUI In GNOME 3.12

Phoronix: A Look At The New Gedit GUI In GNOME 3.12

With the upcoming release of GNOME 3.12 there is a brand new user-interface for Gedit, GNOME's text editor...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

"Elegant and minimalistic" ... i.e., yet another trainwreck.

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
      "Elegant and minimalistic" ... i.e., yet another trainwreck.
      Gnome might not be perfect, but it's the first Linux attempt at touch style UI. Much nicer to use on tablets than Fluxbox or XFCE.

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post
        Gnome might not be perfect, but it's the first Linux attempt at touch style UI. Much nicer to use on tablets than Fluxbox or XFCE.
        But nowhere near as nice or usable as real touch UIs.

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
          But nowhere near as nice or usable as real touch UIs.
          Perhaps. I just like the idea that they're trying to wake up other desktop projects by enforcing touch as only option. This way touch gets more exposure. In coming years the PC market is down to few percent of all computers and tablets will be the norm. It's good to be prepared. Linux already lost the desktop competition. How about high end tablets?

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post
            Perhaps. I just like the idea that they're trying to wake up other desktop projects by enforcing touch as only option. This way touch gets more exposure. In coming years the PC market is down to few percent of all computers and tablets will be the norm. It's good to be prepared. Linux already lost the desktop competition. How about high end tablets?
            Doesn't Linux already own the tablet market?

Comment

Originally posted by johnc
              For some people, merely hearing the truth is viewed as a troll attempt.

And here I was being charitable by calling it a train wreck. Most train wrecks can at least be re-railed and something is salvaged.

If I didn't have a heart at all and wanted to assess the situation most accurately, I would have likened GNOME3 to the Hindenburg.
              Your opinion, sorry "truth", is definitely on train tracks, it's been going in the same direction since the 80s, and any slight curve causes a major hydrologic event.

Comment

This back and forth trolling is intriguing.

Comment

I hate to interrupt all the trolling with a serious question, but well...

The blog post referenced in the article says something about "the new code-assistance framework". Yet, I couldn't find anything about it. Neither in the gedit nor the gtksourceview changelog. Does anybody know more about it?

Comment

Is there anything we can do to keep our thread more professional and constructive, even if everyone does have their own opinion? What is wrong with GNOME applications, including GEdit and why are any of the applications a trainwreck? What, if any changes can be made to suit your likes and personality? What about aesthetics?

For me, what I like is Unity and GNOME 3. I like what I'm seeing for GNOME applications. I like the fact that GNOME is making their applications touch-friendly even though I am using my desktop computer. I do like the ambiance/radiance theme for GNOME applications. I like the fact that the UI controls are fully integrated into a title bar like Mac OS X, which I also like but then some Linux freaks might boo me down for that--heh). One of my favorite feature that I miss in GNOME 3 is the HUD. You hit the Alt key, type a command you're looking for, and hit Enter once you use the up-down arrow keys to select it. HUD is not about searching through files, but through menus of applications -- even complex menus.

Of course, I cannot have it both ways, but if we could share our experience with each other, being that just about everyone have different tastes and workflows, like one prefers Unity (like me but I like GNOME 3), some prefer KDE, XFCE, or whatever desktop environment, we could improve things for the better. Maybe we could fork GNOME 3 and Unity and combine things and mix things up. Make it look unique! Make the desktop look beautiful by having some transparency in titlebars and task bars. What about roll-down notification tray with volume control, networking, mail notification, and social networking combined all in one panel? I'm sure some Windows or Mac users might flock over to Linux. Sure, you can say "my post sucks" but let me ask you this: what is wrong with my post? I mean, why do you not want to see a fork of Unity and GNOME 3 combined and mixed things up? You see what I'm going here?

Of course, there's no need to be a troll unless you want to get your account banned for being a loudmouth but name-calling is completely unnecessary and this thread could get heated. My only advice is to not feed a troll and let it be. No need for bickering.

Comment

Working...
                    X