Thread: The Current State Of Wayland Compositor Security

Default The Current State Of Wayland Compositor Security

Phoronix: The Current State Of Wayland Compositor Security

X.Org Foundation Board of Director member and Nouveau developer, Martin Peres, has written about the state of security within Wayland compositors...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTYxMDA

The blog post is very informative, a recommended reading.
    This certainly is an important aspect of the system, and I wish it would be extended to other interfaces, mainly access to user data (pim, calendar, files, etc.. by various applications)

I'm already happy once I have a screen manager that does not need to run as root. Everything is there on the kernel side. Now for the last part in userspace.

Let them first prevent users snooping from each other and then look at programs for the same user ok? .

Do we know where Windows sits with regards to the Confidentiality / Integrity / Availability -> Input / Output matrix?

I'm guessing better than X.org, worse that Wayland?

Quote Originally Posted by kaprikawn View Post
    Do we know where Windows sits with regards to the Confidentiality / Integrity / Availability -> Input / Output matrix?

I'm guessing better than X.org, worse that Wayland?
    Never heard about the dire state of windows equivalent of xorg. I think it's pretty good as it was designed to be a multi user system that was not meant to be tunneled over the net?

Wayland is new, untested and probably a lot less audited than what windows is currently using.

They have userspace drivers since Windwos Vista (I think, or 7), long before Linux.

Quote Originally Posted by Rexilion View Post
    They have userspace drivers since Windwos Vista (I think, or 7), long before Linux.
    x had userspace drivers since eighties

Quote Originally Posted by pal666 View Post
    x had userspace drivers since eighties
    Yeah, but it runs as root. From what I understand, Windows has userspace drivers and it does not run as administrator. Could be wrong though.