Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GNOME Shell 3.12 Beta Has Many Late Changes

Default GNOME Shell 3.12 Beta Has Many Late Changes

Phoronix: GNOME Shell 3.12 Beta Has Many Late Changes

Going along with new releases of GTK+, Epiphany, WebKitGTK+, and other updated packages for this week's GNOME 3.12 Beta, the GNOME Shell 3.11.90 release is now available...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTYwOTc

Default Is Wayland near?

Gnome 3.12 means the end of X.org?
    Will it be the first usable Wayland?

Any news on Clutter-GTK Wayland subsurfaces support?
    Apparently some Gnome applications are broken on Wayland until this support is added.

Re: the high-resolution display thing.

I've always wondered why they don't just make the desktop UI elements render using vector graphics, that way it'll scale to whatever resolution the user has. Am I just being stupid? Why can't they just do it that way?

Quote Originally Posted by kaprikawn View Post

I've always wondered why they don't just make the desktop UI elements render using vector graphics, that way it'll scale to whatever resolution the user has. Am I just being stupid? Why can't they just do it that way?
    Because only few of us run 16-core Opterons in their computers... (hint: try to open Thunderbird vector icon in Inkscape for example)

Quote Originally Posted by kaprikawn View Post

It's my understanding that GTK/GDK/Cairo renders using vectors. The desktop bits that don't scale well are bitmap fonts and icons. Providing multiple resolution bitmaps is enough.

About Gnome 3.12, I wonder how well is implemented in mutter the wayland input system and clipboard (which I've always found broken in X.org)
    Last edited by newwen; 02-20-2014 at 05:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rxonda View Post
    Gnome 3.12 means the end of X.org?
    I expect it will probably be usable under Wayland, but it's definitely not the end of X.Org

Default Theres no usable drivers yet

Quote Originally Posted by JX8p View Post
    I expect it will probably be usable under Wayland, but it's definitely not the end of X.Org

I just ask because Im ansious for Wayland to run on my Optimus (Kepler) laptop.
    But, the current state of Noveau with no DPM and reclocking at all make me stay with that other OS (M$).

Do you know if the new NVidia binary that supports EGL allows me to run Wayland?

Quote Originally Posted by newwen View Post
    It's my understanding that GTK/GDK/Cairo renders using vectors. The desktop bits that don't scale well are bitmap fonts and icons. Providing multiple resolution bitmaps is enough.

About Gnome 3.12, I wonder how well is implemented in mutter the wayland input system and clipboard (which I've always found broken in X.org)
    Haiku uses vector graphics for its icons: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haiku_Vector_Icon_Format

Quote Originally Posted by rxonda View Post
    I just ask because Im ansious for Wayland to run on my Optimus (Kepler) laptop.
    But, the current state of Noveau with no DPM and reclocking at all make me stay with that other OS (M$).

Do you know if the new NVidia binary that supports EGL allows me to run Wayland?
    I do not believe so.

On another note - a side effect of FreeBSD's GNOME patches being integrated upstream is that 3.12 is no longer dependent on systemd.