Say Hello To The "KDE Leaks" Team

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Fuchs View Post
    No, read again. I am being notified about phoronix mistakes in other places twice a month. If I actually read through the front page of phoronix, it has been already two this week. And two rather major ones.

I doubt that media such as The New York Times really has that amount of mistakes. Note: I am not talking about spelling or grammar mistakes here, if these would count then it would be a couple per article. I am talking about information that is simply wrong, and that could have been written correctly with a few minutes of research.

I disagree on that. If you manage to spread quite wrong information you are doing the exact opposite of doing great. You are actually doing terrible, because no information at all would be better than spreading wrong information.

Well, if that indeed is the case, then Phoronix has lost any credibility for me and should, in my opinion, not be quoted or linked by any serious news pages. Because if it is like that, then it is on the same level as either a personal blog or a gossip site. The problem with spreading wrong information in a couple of articles is: if I am aware of the errors because either I do know that topic or because other people point me to it: what about the other articles? I can't trust these as well, because maybe the wrong information has just not been reported yet. So with that amount of (rather grave) mistakes, I can simply not trust any of the articles at all, even those that aren't corrected/updated (yet).

Well, Debian and KDE already, lets see what else this week might bring.
    I go to Phoronix for news and discussion, not grammar nazis.

Comment

Originally posted by Fuchs View Post
      I doubt that media such as The New York Times really has that amount of mistakes
      Then you would be quite wrong. As of 2004, the New York Times was printing an average of 9 corrections per day. The average large US daily newspaper prints factually incorrect information in half of all their articles, and prints corrections on less than 2% of their errors:
      http://www.slate.com/articles/news_a..._of_error.html

Most newspaper errors are pointed out by the readers.

Comment

Originally posted by TheBlackCat View Post
        Again, if the Phoronix article was actually accurate, none of this would have been an issue.

The whole reason the article took so long is because they had to worry about Phoronix in particular misrepresenting what they were doing. This was a concern from the moment the potential for a name change was brought up.
        If the article was out, Phoronix probably wouldn't be that wrong. And considering that RDF and Virtuoso were kicked out, Baloo is new technology. It is no longer an implementation of http://nepomuk.semanticdesktop.org/ and therefore should have a new name with the use of new technology.

What I find funny about the mailing list over there is that the very same guys who were arguing to change the name of Plasma 2 to Plasma 2014 are now arguing against Baloo as new name. Morons. Everybody knows that in the Linux world software with dates as version numbers always fails (Mandriva went bankrupt, Ubuntu still causes losses at Canonical).

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
          Well, if anything, this article reminded me that I needed to subscribe to planet.kde.org and planet.opensuse.org to get news from direct sources.
          As much as I hate Google+, shorter snippets of information are posted there. And no, Aaron isn't very interesting. These days he's mostly an attention whore, while the actual work on workspace components is mostly done by others, eg.:
          Note:  This blog post outlines upcoming changes to Google Currents for Workspace users. For information on the previous deprecation of Googl...

Note:  This blog post outlines upcoming changes to Google Currents for Workspace users. For information on the previous deprecation of Googl...

Comment

KDE-Promo team needs better costumes. When you compare them with what the furry community can do, hands down KDE needs to step up their game.

Comment

Originally posted by Akka View Post
              I'm not a KDE dev but if I'm remember correct akonadi is only started on demand. You need to remove everything that try to start akonadi when you don't use it. I think the calendar/clock plasmoid in the right corner starts akonadi to get event integration. I think they have a setting there somewhere to inactivate the akonadi integration in the calendar plasmoid.
              Hello again, I tried yesterday. KDE digital clock's Calender was set to *not* "show events" (german: "Ereignisse anzeigen"). I switched it on and off again, even removed akonaditray. Still, whhen I log in and akonadi startup is not disabled, it starts althoug I can't find any process that triggers it. There's that (hidden) Icon for the instant messenger BS* in the tray, but there's no account configured, it never was and I never used it, Neither on my notebook nor anywhere. The * because it seems it's not removable. What would I want this garbage in my tray even if it's hidden?

So still, although I've even disabled desktop search (I only had the e-mail part enabled) and everything that remotely could be responsible to trigger akonadi startup. Akonadi starts at every logon if I don't disable it in akonadiserverrc

Comment

Originally posted by STrRedWolf View Post
                KDE-Promo team needs better costumes. When you compare them with what the furry community can do, hands down KDE needs to step up their game.
                well a professional grade fursuit also costs ~ $2000

Comment

I won't ask why you know that.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
                    I won't ask why you know that.
                    Ask anyway. Besides, only roughly 20% have costumes. Less than 1% of those try to reenact a CSI scene, and a handful of those get sucked into a media who has the wrong idea.

In other words, if your news source tends to spin anything new into a sex cult, you really should switch sources.

Comment

Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post
                      well a professional grade fursuit also costs ~ $2000
                      Beatlecat charges upwards of $5K USD.

Comment

Working...
                      X