Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Say Hello To The "KDE Leaks" Team

Phoronix: Say Hello To The "KDE Leaks" Team

Well, it turns out there's some KDE stakeholders are unsatisfied with the coverage of their desktop coverage found on Phoronix...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

quantity does equal over quantity does survive if you want to survive
    Speaking of corrections, uh what?

Anyways, don't let the haters get to you. I still find this site to be a valuable source of Linux/OSS news.

Comment

what the hell...?

Comment

Ha ha ha ha ha

I'm not sure why exactly, but this article cracks me up.

FWIW, Michael, I've never really thought you were anti-KDE. Although I do get the impression you don't care much about it one way or the other. Which is fine.

Oh, and: Death to Nepomuk!

That name just sounds ugly, always has and always will. And it's got a terrible reputation by the end users. There's no reason to keep it.
        Last edited by smitty3268; 19 February 2014, 01:50 AM.

Comment

Michael, you should go easy on the beer when you still have articles to write.
          This thing is almost unreadable.

Comment

The person who sent you that email is very confused. There are pretty much two main differences between Baloo and Nepomuk. The first is Baloo doesn't store what Akonadai (one of KDE's babies, I mean pillars) and the other is that Baloo does not use RDF. Nepomuk is NOT a KDE created concept. The ideas were borrowed to create a Qt/kdelibs based implementation. Baloo uses an alternative means of storage and thus, Baloo is no longer a Nepomuk implementation. It's sort of like forking Firefox, you are no longer eligible to use the trademark.

I explained this in the third page of the last thread but everyone ignored my comment. I guess a 110+ comment thread was "absolutely necessary". (That's why I put my main points in bold this time.)

Also, in this post by Martin Gr??lin, Nepomuk-kde maintainer explained why he chose a new name for KDE's semantic desktop:

Originally posted by Vishesh Handa
            +Marius Orcsik We wanted to stop relying on RDF. Tracker also uses RDF and the Nepomuk ontologies. This is also the main reason for the name change.

Nepomuk = Networked Environment for personalized Ontology based management of unified knowledge
            Last edited by CTown; 19 February 2014, 02:00 AM.

Comment

Leaks Team

They look like alligators from the swamp to me. Next time I visit the Everglades, I'll
              take some beer along to keep them happy.

Truthfully, though, I've never met an alligator that used KDE - I always thought that
              they used XFCE.

Comment

What a useless piece of passive aggression.

Michael, you do provide a valuable service, but like jntesteves said, you should try to do it sober.

Comment

Originally posted by jntesteves View Post
                  Michael, you should go easy on the beer when you still have articles to write.
                  This thing is almost unreadable.
                  For some reason I was reading the article with a drunk Michaelian voice and it was a match for the style of writing ))))

Truthfully, though, I've never met an alligator that used KDE - I always thought that
                  they used XFCE.
                  It is the rodents that use XFCE

Comment

So where exacly is the you being anti-KDE in the email that you have posted?

They are setting a record straight and you need to friggin' check you damn facts before posting articles. Almost anything beside the benchmarking on here is crap. Your coverage of what various projects might be doing is based on skimming the mailing lists and then presenting proposals as facts. Language barrier? Laziness? I haven't he foggiest.

I understand the rush to put out content... but in your case, more is less since the information you provide is partialy incorrect and then various projects need to scramble to correct mistakes in your "reporting".

Decide if you want your site to be a rumour mill or a proper place to get accurate info.

Comment

Working...
                    X