KDE is now calling Baloo Nepomuk and Nepomuk Baloo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE is now calling Baloo Nepomuk and Nepomuk Baloo

After Phoronix article things were quite clear, Nepomuk is dead and there is a new shiny thing called Baloo. Don't worry! In KDE they are experts of making simple things hard, we all know them.

Apparently after the KDE Software Compilation Plasma Frameworks Next Clownfish, now they want to call Baloo Nepomuk and Nepomuk Baloo. Wait waaat?

From the reading, it would seem that Aaron does not want to say "We were wrong" and is trying to pull everybody towards renaming Baloo back to Nepomuk.

Confusing times ahead!

For wat is worth I have been trying Baloo and besides a couple of crashes the thing is fast and using less than 50Mib of ram.

Originally posted by underwood View Post
    After Phoronix article things were quite clear, Nepomuk is dead and there is a new shiny thing called Baloo. Don't worry! In KDE they are experts of making simple things hard, we all know them.

Apparently after the KDE Software Compilation Plasma Frameworks Next Clownfish, now they want to call Baloo Nepomuk and Nepomuk Baloo. Wait waaat?

From the reading, it would seem that Aaron does not want to say "We were wrong" and is trying to pull everybody towards renaming Baloo back to Nepomuk.

Confusing times ahead!

For wat is worth I have been trying Baloo and besides a couple of crashes the thing is fast and using less than 50Mib of ram.
    I would suggest you to read things properly and get background info before trying to blame people of making things complicated.
    If you do not want to do so, I suggest you to stay away from mailing lists and internal discussions.
    KDE is a community and in a group of people there will always be different opinions. Aaron Seigo did not want to invent a new name for the successor of Nepomuk which is now called Baloo, but instead name it Nepomuk2.
    The maintainer of Nepomuk and creator of Baloo Vishesh Handa wanted to name the successor Baloo to get the negative associations with Nepomuk in the past out of peoples heads.
    Aaron Seigo did not want to go this way, as he knew people would say KDE has wasted time and money with Nepomuk etc., because they ignore the fact that knowledge and code from Nepomuk goes into Baloo.
    BTW: KDE's implementation of Nepomuk did not cost millions, people confuse that with a EU research project implemented in Java.

Comment

Working...
    X