Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: AMD VCE Encode Engine Code Moves Ahead For Linux 3.15

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    13,469

    Default AMD VCE Encode Engine Code Moves Ahead For Linux 3.15

    Phoronix: AMD VCE Encode Engine Code Moves Ahead For Linux 3.15

    The first Radeon DRM pull request for new code going into the drm-next tree for mainlining in the Linux 3.15 kernel was issued on Tuesday. This first pull request does have the AMD Radeon VCE support...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTYwODE

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    in front of my box :p
    Posts
    735

    Default

    This is so exciting. And that's the good thing about Linux: the next kernel is always even better. At least from the standpoint of owner of HW that sees development (like AMD Radeon stuff, nouveau etc.) you have something new each version. Plus some non-driver related changes for everybody.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,519

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Adarion View Post
    This is so exciting. And that's the good thing about Linux: the next kernel is always even better. At least from the standpoint of owner of HW that sees development (like AMD Radeon stuff, nouveau etc.) you have something new each version. Plus some non-driver related changes for everybody.
    The thing is that most of the features we wait are available "out of the box" (period) for other OS users.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    121

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 89c51 View Post
    The thing is that most of the features we wait are available "out of the box" (period) for other OS users.
    bullshit
    radeon drivers are not available "out of the box" for other OS users, period or not

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    1,992

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pal666 View Post
    bullshit
    radeon drivers are not available "out of the box" for other OS users, period or not
    I think she was saying that she was 'on the rag' (period).

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    France
    Posts
    462

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Adarion View Post
    This is so exciting. And that's the good thing about Linux: the next kernel is always even better. At least from the standpoint of owner of HW that sees development (like AMD Radeon stuff, nouveau etc.) you have something new each version. Plus some non-driver related changes for everybody.
    Like any software... also, regressions happen and the current situation isn't perfect at all.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    2,913

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pal666 View Post
    bullshit
    radeon drivers are not available "out of the box" for other OS users, period or not
    Actually, i think windows does have (old) radeon and nvidia drivers out of the box. And they're definitely in the automatic updates that most users get.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Toronto-ish
    Posts
    7,285

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by smitty3268 View Post
    Actually, i think windows does have (old) radeon and nvidia drivers out of the box. And they're definitely in the automatic updates that most users get.
    Correct. All the major HW vendors work with MS to provide in-box driver support.

    They're not necessarily old -- "basic" is probably a better description -- although a few years after OS release they certainly become "old" as well as "basic"

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •