Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVIDIA's Open-Source Plans For Maxwell With Nouveau

Phoronix: NVIDIA's Open-Source Plans For Maxwell With Nouveau

I've been briefed this morning on what NVIDIA will be doing to encourage open-source driver development for the just-launched Maxwell GPUs that succeed Kepler...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Bummer

This news lessens my enthusiasm for Maxwell quite a lot. I'll save my avidity for next-gen Intel graphics instead.

Comment

Originally posted by bison View Post
      This news lessens my enthusiasm for Maxwell quite a lot. I'll save my avidity for next-gen Intel graphics instead.
      did you seriously think that Nvidia would be changing the status quo with Maxwell? It's honestly counter enough to their normal behavior that they're working on open source tegra support... If you want open source GPU drivers Intel and AMD are the only way to go right now.

Comment

They're sending cards to nouveau developers and willing to answer questions from them. This is still an improvement from the old Nvidia response to Nouveau. It's not perfect, but I'm willing to accept baby steps for now.

Of course the only Nvidia card that I own is the GF9400m in my laptop, and my next work machine will probably have intel/amd graphics as well. If Nvidia turns their open-source support around in the next 3-5 years, I may consider them for my next major graphics card purchase.

Comment

Still staying away from NVIDIA GPU's like they are the plague. Maybe one day NVIDIA will get it.

Comment

Yes, because we all know how much NVidia supports the open source drivers and were counting on that to continue.

Seriously?

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
              Yes, because we all know how much NVidia supports the open source drivers and were counting on that to continue.

Seriously?
              It's your straw man, so you answer the question.

Comment

Originally posted by brad0 View Post
                Still staying away from NVIDIA GPU's like they are the plague. Maybe one day NVIDIA will get it.
                Display hotplugging and OpenGL just work with so much less effort on Intel HD4x00 vs slightly older NVIDIA chips. And that's with either NVIDIA driver. Totally agree; stay away from NVIDIA.

Comment

It's your straw man, so you answer the question.
                  As soon as you tell me which part of this story was news to you.

Comment

It?s better than nothing I suppose. But as far as I understand the situation, as long as re-clocking will not be working with nouveau, it will be more or less useless?

Comment

Working...
                    X