Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu Will Not Enable Open-Source VDPAU Support

Phoronix: Ubuntu Will Not Enable Open-Source VDPAU Support

This morning I wrote about Mesa 10.1 likely going into Ubuntu 14.04 LTS, but if you were hoping this means Ubuntu will enable VDPAU driver support for open-source hardware-accelerated video decoding, that improvement to video playback isn't going to happen with the official Ubuntu Mesa/Gallium3D driver packages...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by atari314
    Canonical lies.

They don't want to add that for another shady reason.
    Or maybe they want to implement it when Mir goes stable.

Edit: Should've read the article, but really, why would you call Canonical liars?
    Last edited by NothingMuchHereToSay; 18 February 2014, 01:41 PM.

Comment

They should just swtitch to DVD format already and include more default stuff...
      i barely find CDs for sale these days anyway only DVDs and bluerays, and i dont use any of those i just use a usb stick.

Comment

Originally posted by atari314
        Canonical lies.

They don't want to add that for another shady reason.
        Some people prefer to believe in evil and conspirancy, I prefer to believe in stupidity. I mean, if image size is more important than a major usability issue for end users, you deserve the market share you have.

Comment

Originally posted by TheSoulz View Post
          They should just swtitch to DVD format already and include more default stuff...
          i barely find CDs for sale these days anyway only DVDs and bluerays, and i dont use any of those i just use a usb stick.
          I thought the ISOs are to big for CDs already

Comment

Uuuh, I'm pretty sure this will be reconsidered if given some publicity. Unfortunately, enabling VDPAU unofficially is not really an option for distributors because of lack of QA...

Let's file a bug and follow up on this, okay?

Comment

Originally posted by blackout23 View Post
              I thought the ISOs are to big for CDs already
              ubuntu 12.04 is 733mb
              13.10 is 833 or 883 mb

both 64bit so i assume 32bit would be even smaller

theres alot more space they can use to include stuff like full language packs and stuff like that on the image.

Comment

another non theme!

another non theme. windows don t come with drivers pre installer, if you need it install yourself, if you will install nvidia non free(almost every people who use nvidia) vdpau installs, intel use vaapi. amd... well no buy amd hardware

Comment

Yea, that's a rather odd decision. I'm just happy openSUSE switched to DVDs quite a while ago (and have been shipping with official VDPAU support for quite a while, too).

Comment

Originally posted by Andrecorreia View Post
                    another non theme. windows don t come with drivers pre installer, if you need it install yourself, if you will install nvidia non free(almost every people who use nvidia) vdpau installs, intel use vaapi. amd... well no buy amd hardware
                    windows does come with drivers preinstalled, alot of them actualy. mouse GPU chipsets and the list goes on and on

Comment

Working...
                    X