No announcement yet.

Ubuntu Will Not Enable Open-Source VDPAU Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Funny, cause I have similar stuttering effect with my Kabini (E1-2500) laptop under Windows 8.1 using MPC-HC (and VLC IIRC): Flashing for several (might be around 10) seconds without sound while the player seems to get sound and video part to sync, then continues with sound and vid in sync.

Using the oibaf repo, under Kubuntu 13.10 +3.13.3 from kernel-ppa it works very well with mplayer and mpv, with VLC (which is able to use that OSS vdpau) and xine (same) I get to see the video, but with display errors. Just the upper left quarter of the vid is being displayed well, the rest shows an opaque overlay of the first frame (I think), the overlay is proportionally being resized with the player window and the content. And the players tend to freeze when skipping forth and back several times. Thus, I've set them both to opengl2 output which makes them play SD content (upto 576p and perheaps above) just fine. So I can watch 720p and 1080p vids on that notebook, which are not running smoothly withoud radeon's vdpau. That's why I opt for libg3dvl-mesa to be an optional package inside one of the unsupported repos.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrecorreia View Post
      another non theme. windows don t come with drivers pre installer, if you need it install yourself, if you will install nvidia non free(almost every people who use nvidia) vdpau installs, intel use vaapi. amd... well no buy amd hardware
      Yes, but this isn't Windows. We expect much better hardware support out of the box from Linux distributions.

Sorry, that's an asshole move from Canonical and they deserve all the scorn and ridicule they will get. It pisses me off almost as much as distributions that withheld things like mp3 playback support when it's clearly not (and never really has been, for playback) a problem.

One thing we can probably be sure of is that it's not just because of 8 Mb larger Mesa packages.

Comment

Originally posted by coder111 View Post
        On the other hand, after I enabled VDPAU, pause/resume and rewind works somewhat flakily on my AMD laptop with AMD GPU with mplayer. If I pause/unpause it starts stuttering for ~10 seconds. CPU usage is MUCH lower though, especially playing high definition videos... As far as I know, VLC is unable to use open-source VDPAU support at all? Something about how Radeon VDPAU reports its capabilities?

I hope VDPAU gets enabled in Debian before next release is frozen. But it needs a bit more work IMO.

--Coder
        Originally posted by edgar_wibeau View Post
        Funny, cause I have similar stuttering effect with my Kabini (E1-2500) laptop under Windows 8.1 using MPC-HC (and VLC IIRC): Flashing for several (might be around 10) seconds without sound while the player seems to get sound and video part to sync, then continues with sound and vid in sync.

Using the oibaf repo, under Kubuntu 13.10 +3.13.3 from kernel-ppa it works very well with mplayer and mpv, with VLC (which is able to use that OSS vdpau) and xine (same) I get to see the video, but with display errors. Just the upper left quarter of the vid is being displayed well, the rest shows an opaque overlay of the first frame (I think), the overlay is proportionally being resized with the player window and the content. And the players tend to freeze when skipping forth and back several times. Thus, I've set them both to opengl2 output which makes them play SD content (upto 576p and perheaps above) just fine. So I can watch 720p and 1080p vids on that notebook, which are not running smoothly withoud radeon's vdpau. That's why I opt for libg3dvl-mesa to be an optional package inside one of the unsupported repos.
        Did you guys try REPORTING the bugs? (try searching in bugs.freedesktop.org for similar bugs before doing it, make sure to describe your setup and give verbose logs)
        @edgar_wibeau are you sure vlc works? the last time I tried it, it supposedly had support for VDPAU, but... it didn't use it, so I simply removed vlc.

The argument that the driver "has not been tested enough" is BS, I think, as the driver has been used by lots of people in lots of distros (remember, arch users are our alpha testers..), including XBMC ( http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=174854 ), and the user themselves are usually told to report bugs, so by now (in kernel 3.14), almost everything should work just fine for most people.

Again people, go to ubuntu forums, go to ubuntu support channels in IRC, bitch and whine there to ubuntu maintainers for support, don't let this stupidity pass.

Comment

An additional, important fact is that deciding to not make VDPAU available to a wide audience will not at all help with getting the remaining VDPAU issues fixed.

Comment

Originally posted by asdfblah View Post
            @edgar_wibeau are you sure vlc works? the last time I tried it, it supposedly had support for VDPAU, but... it didn't use it, so I simply removed vlc
            Not edgar_wibeau, but anyways, in Slackware VLC 2.1.3 uses VDPAU, but it comes with heavy stuttering and artifacts, so I wouldn't say it works. On the same setup MPlayer works fine with VDPAU, so I wouldn't consider this a driver issue, but a problem of VLC.

Comment

Come down people... its easy the ubuntu die hards some said it, everybody must use binary blobs or is a murron anyway ^^ so they have no problem.

For everybody else all this trolls that buy amd hardware even they should hate freedom and buy nvidia hardware, there is a easy fix, download something else like fedora/archlinux/opensuse... put it on a usb-stick, boot it, format your ubuntu partitions / harddisk install.

Believe me, thats only a example from what ubuntu "defends" you, stuff like ramfs or tmpfs for /tmp and profile-sync-deamon that puts your browser-profile/cache into ram and not only speeds your browsing experience up, but if you use a ssd also reduces the amounts of writes so your ssd will most likely stay longer alive.

Yes yes there is also a ppa for that... first you have to know/learn about it, and the ramfs is preinstalled in every normal (non-ubuntu) distro.

But don?t belive me, I am a cracy retard... but then be happy with your gnu/linux fork distro.

Have fun with it

p.s.: sadly Canonical failed right now in creating the worst distro ever because they "lost" in the fight for upstart and now they dont reach perfection it worst distro ever... sad...

Comment

Originally posted by Vim_User View Post
                Not edgar_wibeau, but anyways, in Slackware VLC 2.1.3 uses VDPAU, but it comes with heavy stuttering and artifacts, so I wouldn't say it works. On the same setup MPlayer works fine with VDPAU, so I wouldn't consider this a driver issue, but a problem of VLC.
                Yeah, exactly.
                What I meant is, VLC (< 2.2?) doesn't seem to use VDPAU at all, and you can check that simply by looking at cpu usage. The debugging output when using the -v flag is almost cryptic... but you can see there that it isn't using VDPAU.
                Anyway, VLC itself seems to be buggy as hell. mpv is great.

Comment

Originally posted by blackiwid View Post
                  Believe me, thats only a example from what ubuntu "defends" you, stuff like ramfs or tmpfs for /tmp and profile-sync-deamon that puts your browser-profile/cache into ram and not only speeds your browsing experience up, but if you use a ssd also reduces the amounts of writes so your ssd will most likely stay longer alive.
                  SSD writes are a false problem. Most so-called optimizations, apart of TRIM and not defragging, are useless, if not hurting.

Comment

Originally posted by Calinou View Post
                    SSD writes are a false problem. Most so-called optimizations, apart of TRIM and not defragging, are useless, if not hurting.
                    how can reducing of write calls hurt a ssd?

And even if it would be true, still the advantage in speed rocks. And even if you dont use a ssd this advantage is even bigger.

Comment

Hi folks, I was wrong, VLC in Ubuntu 13.10 indeed doesn't utilize vdpau. For some reason I had to set it's video output manually to glx-whatever, after I had replaced the standard xorg/mesa-stack with oibaf's stuff. Yesterday (with current oibaf stack) I could remove that option and it still works fine. I doesn't seem to use vdpau in any case and also it's not an output option. Sorry for the confusion.

What I wrote is still valid for xine though.

Comment

Working...
                      X