Ubuntu Will Not Enable Open-Source VDPAU Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gigaplex View Post
    Why is everyone saying it's as simple as enabling a configuration option? It's not. If they ship it, they have to support it.
    Maybe they should just stop shipping Mesa entirely then, because I'm sure that's not simple to support. Who needs 3D graphics anyway?

Comment

Originally posted by TheSoulz View Post
      ubuntu 12.04 is 733mb
      13.10 is 833 or 883 mb
      Which is already too big for CDs, so that's not really a factor. Not that it should be, either - I can't think that many people actually boot off CD/DVD these days, compared to the convenience of using a USB stick...

Comment

Originally posted by Delgarde View Post
        Which is already too big for CDs, so that's not really a factor. Not that it should be, either - I can't think that many people actually boot off CD/DVD these days, compared to the convenience of using a USB stick...
        Reminds me of when Fedora dropped CD releases. I didn't witness personally but have heard it was release by release battle to get things to fit in the CD back then. Of course, Ubuntu kinda has this agenda of being usable by third-world countries as well and not providing a CD release would hurt that agenda. That said, whatever is shipped with the live image constraining what should be available for installing in the actual release sounds ridiculous. User-experience for majority of users shouldn't be crippled just to cater the people trying out Linux with live media.

Comment

A possible compromise

Already ubuntu ships with Jockey to allow switching drivers to or from the closed blob drivers. Why not modify Jockey to also allow use of one of the optimized driver PPAs like the Oibaf PPA? Keep in mind, I think Ubuntu still does not ship mpeg support by default anyway, so you already have to add the codecs to use VDPAU support. Mint (which does ship the codecs) might need another solution, I would suggest they cherry-pick a sweet spot from the Oibaf PPA each release and put it in their "import" repo.

Comment

So we may end up seeing VDPAU driver support out-of-the-box in future Fedora Linux releases while it won't be in Fedora over being conservative with the disk image size.
            Did you mean Ubuntu?

Comment

Originally posted by nanonyme View Post
              Of course, Ubuntu kinda has this agenda of being usable by third-world countries as well and not providing a CD release would hurt that agenda.
              Not sure that's realistic... any machine that can boot a modern Ubuntu release can boot from USB... and if you're looking to save costs, a CD/DVD drive would be one of the first things I'd drop these days...

Comment

That sucks big time, really Of course I know how to use oibaf's PPA but I'd really like to stick with the stable base. Let alone joe sixppack who I really don't want to ask for handling PPAs including the problems when updating to the next release. Couldn't them ubuntu folks just enable it and maybe push the libg3dvl-mesa package (16 MB installed size in oibaf's repo btw) to universe, multiverse or whatever would be the correct unsupported repo inside the normal ubuntu world? So users wouldn't have topo replace the whole GFX stack by something unsupported? And I dont care if it's not on the live ISO btw. It's just the base for installation and maybe once in a while testing if e.g. some notebook is supported well enough.

And if they don't include it now, why should they ever do so in future? Really, I don't understand it.

Same for OpenCL btw.
                Last edited by edgar_wibeau; 18 February 2014, 04:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
                  Maybe they should just stop shipping Mesa entirely then, because I'm sure that's not simple to support. Who needs 3D graphics anyway?
                  While we're at it let's throw out the kernel drivers, who needs a frame buffer? Mesa is required for their UI stack. Accelerated video playback is nice to have but isn't essential. It would be nice if Canonical supported it, but it's not the end of the world.

Comment

There were game-changing vdpau fixes just recently, some to the kernel too. Perhaps their target kernel won't include those, and so the experience would suck even if they enabled the userspace option.

Comment

Ubuntu's 3.13 kernel misses 2 possible UVD patches, but one thing should be noted, all vdpau libs that can be compiled from mesa are only 1.3 mb compressed, you can forget a size issue. I created a package with only vdpau libs called libg3dvl-mesa similar to the Ubuntu PPA but without xvmc and everybody can look at the deb size, thats usually the size a live iso gets bigger.

Kanotix has nightly iso images with that mesa called "special", which have got binary drivers in gfxdetect mode and latest stable mesa (with needed uvd patches). Very simple to verify if it would work...

Packages installed you see here:

Comment

Working...
                      X