Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is truth that the Linux it is having a hard time?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is truth that the Linux it is having a hard time?

Last edited by assembler; 23 December 2015, 10:23 AM.

Originally posted by assembler View Post
    ...Linux distributions ever more shrinking and disappearing...
    You could call it natural selection. Worthwhile distro's survive, "remix-ed" distro's often don't stand the test of time.

Comment

Linux distributions ever more shrinking and disappearing, until Slackware are having a hard time. Not to mention the Connectives and Mandrivas, Turbos, Caldera, Gentoo, so many that from 2008 forward or passed the if drag of once or simply if weakened expressively.

Wow this is so funny its almost sad. Its a roll call of distros from the 90's not 2008. I wouldn't listen to anything this guy says he obviously has been under a rock for the last 15 years. For example Caldera a.k.a SCO tried to destroy linux in the early 2000's it was massive news.

Linux is stronger than ever redhats passed $1 billion in revenue a year, steam box is comming, then there is android, chrome os, and just about any appliance you can think of all running linux. Struggling? I think not.

As for distros disappearing each on the disappears is promptly replaced by the announcement of a new one.
      Last edited by tarceri; 06 March 2014, 01:58 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by tarceri View Post
        Wow this is so funny its almost sad. Its a roll call of distros from the 90's not 2008. I wouldn't listen to anything this guy says he obviously has been under a rock for the last 15 years. For example Caldera a.k.a SCO tried to destroy linux in the early 2000's it was massive news.

Linux is stronger than ever redhats passed $1 billion in revenue a year, steam box is comming, then there is android, chrome os, and just about any appliance you can think of all running linux. Struggling? I think not.

As for distros disappearing each on the disappears is promptly replaced by the announcement of a new one.
        He's probably talking about the traditional GNU/Linux desktop here. But I think I have to agree with Gabe Newell here: "Do you think that in the long run Linux will not only be the future of gaming?", Newell: "Probably".

Comment

The Linux ecosystem is rapidly changing.

I'm actually quite happy about the downsizing, merging and how developers are now focusing and contributing to other things rather than maintaining a whole distribution.
          If only Canonical stopped forking and rebranding everything.

Comment

BSD guys are always the same

BSD guys always the same: they prefer to tell how bad their competotors are instead of making their systems good enough so there is no need to tell crap about competitors. As for me I prefer to use convenient systems which are working for me on my hardware and serving my tasks on daily basis. Somehow I can't tell this about any of BSDs. Linux on other hand is a nice choice for me, as it supports recent hardware, modern features like virtualisaton, etc and developed at good speed with goals to get things on wheels, rather than something good from academic point of view.

Comment

It could be said that Linux desktop is having a hard time, because DEs with largest market shares have either conspired or gone mad, and now we have things like GNOME 3 and (ugh) Unity. KDE is sane but it's not for everyone. But this is also the time when projects like elementary OS happen!

The Wayland/Mir situation is also not pleasant. On the other hand, this is the time when we're finally migrating away from X11, and that in itself is great!

What this guy tries to say is, a lot of the older major distros have faded into irrelevance. Mandriva is pretty much abandoned, nobody really cares about OpenSUSE anymore, etc.
              I believe that's because the original "distribution" model is now irrelevant. What was the selling point of Mandriva again? Is it really any different from Fedora? What about OpenSUSE? Would anyone really care to use all that over Debian/Ubuntu/RHEL?

Comment

Originally posted by Shnatsel View Post
                It could be said that Linux desktop is having a hard time, because DEs with largest market shares have either conspired or gone mad, and now we have things like GNOME 3 and (ugh) Unity. KDE is sane but it's not for everyone.
                Maybe it explains why I prefer XFCE. Xubuntu makes it easy. OTOH Unity and Gnome3 are really insane things.

Comment

Linux is a kernel, it is not a complete Operating System. Linux is therefore not having a hard time at all, since it is by far the most-used kernel in the world. Easily.

Although the Windows NT kernel dominates on desktops, Linux dominates everywhere else, including embedded, supercomputers, servers, infrastructure and handheld/mobile. Since Android uses a Linux kernel, and Android is now the majority OS for both mobile phones and tablets, this market alone lets Linux overtake the Windows NT kernel.

Comment

Working...
                  X