KDE's Nepomuk Doesn't Seem To Have A Future

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Temar View Post
    Many people have Akonadi disabled, so they won't mind. There are people however, who actually use Akonadi and now they get a replacement which is only 80% feature complete? I really hope those 80% features are at least stable or KDEPIM will be running into the next disaster. You guys really know how to annoy your users the most.
    Those 20% of features weren't actually being used in practice, certainly not be Akonadi. Everything Akonadi needs is already there.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
      Uh, this is about Baloo and Nepomuk, not about Akonadi.
      Of course, you are right. I actually ment Nepomuk and not Akonadi. Nevertheless my criticism stands.

Replacing something with an alternative which only has 80% features yet, sounds like a premature step. As 100% feature parity is planned for the future, these features are obviously used by some users, otherwise there would be no need to implement them. Again KDE is replacing a working implementation with something that is new, shiny and incomplete.

D?j? vu anyone?

Comment

Originally posted by Temar View Post
        Replacing something with an alternative which only has 80% features yet, sounds like a premature step. As 100% feature parity is planned for the future, these features are obviously used by some users, otherwise there would be no need to implement them. Again KDE is replacing a working implementation with something that is new, shiny and incomplete.
        No, that is the point. Those features were NOT used by anyone. None of the software relying on Nepomuk actually exposed those features to users. The Nepomuk libraries provided the features, but nobody found a good way to actually make use of them.

Comment

Nepomuk...

At first, I lol'd: "Nepomuk doesn't have a future", what was their first clue? Like forcing this crap into KDE?
          Then I lol'd again: 17 million bucks wasted for some useless junk that interferes with my workflow or at least uses up ressources I need for other tasks and for example forced me to change my mailprogram? (100 people could live a better life with a part ot this money - like in having food and shelter. I dare you to bring up 100 not KDE-developing users who are really having better lifes because of Nepomuk.)
          Then I was knocked out: replacing this software with just another software instead of getting rid of it. They still think that what they are doing is fine because, hey: I wouldn't write this shit if I weren't right, man!

From all the people I know, nobody uses semantic desktop stuff, no desktop search, no automatic crawling-and-linking-all-your-data programs. Who came up with this shit? Wo _really_ needs this?
          Don't people know what folders and filenames are for? Do they just drop their things at home and let some app keep track of where everything is within this chaotic mess instead of putting it all into the cupboard where it belongs?
          Just put the battery acid to the milk within the microwave oven and the T-Shirts into the soup, what is the worst thing going to happen as long as you keep track of it? I'll keep my buttons and spoons in the shower, no problem, man!
          Just put your confidential letters to the music and movies and private pictures. Want some data? Here, I grant you access to my folder, it's somewhere within, just index my files then pick what you want. Wait - we could directly put everything into the cloud, readable for all.
          This isn't just encouragement to sloppyness, this is so NSA-friendly it stinks.

Nepomuk is a big waste of energy and obviously also waste of money, encourages lazyness and gives less control over your data and binds developer's ressources from other tasks - just replace it with a same other thing, I am sure it will be better afterwards. Oh, and to our KDE userbase: eat it or beat it, we don't care, cause we're right and know what you want otherwise we wouldn't do it. Thank us because we do this in our free time and if you want changes then join us or shut up!

I hope they just give other developers enough time to come up with alternatives. A new mailclient for KDE is out because kmail changed from being the best mailprog ever to compiled, unusable bytes, KDE 3.10 has been forked. Just follow your visions, KDE, ignore all clues! I am happy that it isn't just KDE or Gnome anymore.

Comment

@ Michael: Really - great job! Your news really reads like it was KDE that recieved all the money. That's wrong. It was a research program that got all the euros. The project was called "nepomuk". It resulted (AFAIK) in a java-based implementation. KDE used the results (as did/does gnome) to build up their solution. They (kde and gnome) did not recieve any money!

If anyone want's to see how great Xapian works, just try out notmuch -> www.notmuchmail.org
            Took me some time to trust another "index your mail" solution after the trouble I had with akonadi/nepomuk, but I am really happy now. Fast indexing, fast searching, no stupid daemon running

Comment

Thanks!

What a wonderful forum thread this is. My ignore list has just doubled in size, all trolls and halfwits coming to this topic like moths to the fire

Comment

Originally posted by accumulator View Post
                What a wonderful forum thread this is. My ignore list has just doubled in size, all trolls and halfwits coming to this topic like moths to the fire
                *plonk*. One the most useless posts around here. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Originally posted by mark_ View Post
                  Don't people know what folders and filenames are for? Do they just drop their things at home and let some app keep track of where everything is within this chaotic mess instead of putting it all into the cupboard where it belongs?
                  No, a lot of people don't keep their stuff well-organized. Are you going to go door-to-door and force them to? Or should we just have them use Windows or Mac? Because the ultimatum you are providing isn't "keep your files organized or you won't find them", it is "keep your files organized or use a closed-source operating system".

But even if we do tell them to stop using Linux, how am I supposed to remember the exact date I was visiting a particular country 10 years ago in order to find a picture? Or remember which of the dozen or so versions of a paper I wrote had a particular line I want? Or remember which of the hundreds of PDFs of papers I have on roughly the same subject has a particular piece of data I need? Or remember which of the hundreds of emails with my parents had information on a particular flight I took years ago?

No matter how well-organized your files are, there are things that are simply infeasible to manage without some sort of search program.

Comment

It is interesting to see that some ppl really care about nepomuk or develop a replacement. Currently nepomuk needs virtuoso-minimal, which i do not preinstall on Kanotix as it costs speed (and space in home for index). Ok, some ppl who liked to use kde-pim needed to install the package but many are happy with Icedove (renamed Thunderbird) for mail and dont need indexed files. I like the other KDE features and the optic is nice, but i would not spend 1 ? for developing nepomuk or a faster replacement for it.

Comment

Originally posted by mark_ View Post
                      Who came up with this shit? Wo _really_ needs this?

Yes, who the fuck needs to send some astronauts to the moon ? So much millions wasted on some stupid people going into space - for what ? Nothing !

Comment

Working...
                      X