Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FreeBSD Now Uses LLVM/Clang 3.4

Phoronix: FreeBSD Now Uses LLVM/Clang 3.4

FreeBSD has imported the LLVM Clang 3.4 compiler into its code-base for providing initial support for all the new features of the C++1y (C++14) update...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Good for them, but the compiler is nowhere near BSD's biggest issues, like drivers etc.

Somebody made a good point that writing an OS is easier than writing (good!) drivers for the gazillion of hw and devices out there.

Comment

Originally posted by mark45 View Post
      Good for them, but the compiler is nowhere near BSD's biggest issues, like drivers etc.

Somebody made a good point that writing an OS is easier than writing (good!) drivers for the gazillion of hw and devices out there.
      That is correct but aiming to be a server operating system, I'm sure they (FreeBSD team) would make sure that the NIC drivers are up and running reliably so that there's support before the hw comes out. Also lately the wifi support has been having some momentum. OpenBSD afaik has a very good wifi stack. Interesting enough, the gazillion devices actually come down to several manufacturers making several chipsets.

Comment

Originally posted by BSDude View Post
        OpenBSD afaik has a very good wifi stack. Interesting enough, the gazillion devices actually come down to several manufacturers making several chipsets.
        On the server, yes. On the desktop (which is what I meant) - it's a gazillion of drivers, for example HP has/had many types of printers each type several subversions with varying minor features (like HP 1020 vs HP 1022).

And the BSDs already work on Linux like stuff, like KMS, Wayland, you name it. I'm pretty sure they'll switch to systemd too sooner or later. Linux wannabies.

Comment

On the server, yes. On the desktop (which is what I meant) - it's a gazillion of drivers, for example HP has/had many types of printers each type several subversions with varying minor features (like HP 1020 vs HP 1022).

And the BSDs already work on Linux like stuff, like KMS, Wayland, you name it. I'm pretty sure they'll switch to systemd too sooner or later. Linux wannabies.
          Wayland is hardly "linux specific", and they've been porting the graphics drivers since long before KMS was rolled out, it's just taken them longer to deal with since it requires changes to their kernel and the driver, rather than just needing to emulate an interface.

on the systemd front I highly doubt it. They may use openlaunchd, and they may even make openlaunchd and systemd use the same config files (I suspect that the systemd guys would view this as the best form of portability), but being that systemd has zero interest in being ported, there is already work to port openlaunchd, and the critical kernel bits (cgroups, kdbus) missing, I highly doubt that we will *ever* see systemd on freebsd. debian or otherwise

Comment

Originally posted by crymsonpheonix View Post
            Wayland is hardly "linux specific", and they've been porting the graphics drivers since long before KMS was rolled out, it's just taken them longer to deal with since it requires changes to their kernel and the driver, rather than just needing to emulate an interface.

on the systemd front I highly doubt it. They may use openlaunchd, and they may even make openlaunchd and systemd use the same config files (I suspect that the systemd guys would view this as the best form of portability), but being that systemd has zero interest in being ported, there is already work to port openlaunchd, and the critical kernel bits (cgroups, kdbus) missing, I highly doubt that we will *ever* see systemd on freebsd. debian or otherwise
            FreeBSD will use a derivative point for point compatible version of launchd [Open Launchd] long before a clone or implementation of systemd.

Comment

Originally posted by crymsonpheonix View Post

Wayland is Linux specific in the sense it was made for Linux and paid and developed by companies (Red Hat, Intel, Collabora, etc) who care about Linux, like it or not, the only working setup until now to try out Wayland has also been Linux. Like any other technology if it was created "by Linux for Linux" it doesn't mean it'll always stay this way, but it's a different issue.

Comment

Linux wannabies.
                Do you even realize how fucking childish you are? FreeBSD existed long before Linux did. I can't even think of a single thing FreeBSD has "copied" from Linux to be "wannabes". FreeBSD has offered compatibility layers for Linux users to ease migration and improve compatibility, that's all. Not to mention he fact FreeBSD and Linux developers frequently work together on a wide range of things, not the least of which are drivers.

I'll never get the rabid, childish hate petty little trolls like you express for a project that apparently has zero impact on you personally. You're like a pathetic little 6 year old screaming about their Xbox One being better than the PS4 and simply can't comprehend that people would like options and the ability to choose.

Grow the fuck up.

Comment

Originally posted by litfan View Post
                  Do you even realize how fucking childish you are? FreeBSD existed long before Linux did. I can't even think of a single thing FreeBSD has "copied" from Linux to be "wannabes". FreeBSD has offered compatibility layers for Linux users to ease migration and improve compatibility, that's all. Not to mention he fact FreeBSD and Linux developers frequently work together on a wide range of things, not the least of which are drivers.

I'll never get the rabid, childish hate petty little trolls like you express for a project that apparently has zero impact on you personally. You're like a pathetic little 6 year old screaming about their Xbox One being better than the PS4 and simply can't comprehend that people would like options and the ability to choose.

Grow the fuck up.
                  The fact that you're pissed off shows you're childish, I just don't care about BSD, and since you're the one showing off the butthurt you should probably grow, no?

Comment

The fact that you're pissed off shows you're childish, I just don't care about BSD, and since you're the one showing off the butthurt you should probably grow, no?
                    The fact you post this retarded drivel all over these forums on a near daily basis show you do in fact care about BSD despite your childish attempts to claim otherwise.

Being pissed off has nothing to do with being childish. It has everything to do with having to share the same planet with someone as ignorant as you.

Comment

Working...
                    X