Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: GNOME 3.12 Will Let You Disable Geolocation Support

Default GNOME 3.12 Will Let You Disable Geolocation Support

Phoronix: GNOME 3.12 Will Let You Disable Geolocation Support

GNOME has geolocation support for pinpointing you down to your city, but now it can be disabled with the latest GNOME Shell work...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTYwNTM

Why letting users to optionally disable it? Remove it completely!

Default What?

Wait, until now you couldn'd do that ? Gnome developers are really idiots.
    Even Windows has more privacy regarding this.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny3 View Post
    Wait, until now you couldn'd do that ? Gnome developers are really idiots.
    Even Windows has more privacy regarding this.
    http://www.jwz.org/doc/cadt.html

The CADT Model

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Zawinski

In February 2003, a bunch of the outstanding bugs I'd reported against various GNOME programs over the previous couple of years were all closed as follows:

Because of the release of GNOME 2.0 and 2.2, and the lack of interest in maintainership of GNOME 1.4, the gnome-core product is being closed. If you feel your bug is still of relevance to GNOME 2, please reopen it and refile it against a more appropriate component. Thanks...
    This is, I think, the most common way for my bug reports to open source software projects to ever become closed. I report bugs; they go unread for a year, sometimes two; and then (surprise!) that module is rewritten from scratch -- and the new maintainer can't be bothered to check whether his new version has actually solved any of the known problems that existed in the previous version.

I'm so totally impressed at this Way New Development Paradigm. Let's call it the "Cascade of Attention-Deficit Teenagers" model, or "CADT" for short.

It hardly seems worth even having a bug system if the frequency of from-scratch rewrites always outstrips the pace of bug fixing. Why not be honest and resign yourself to the fact that version 0.8 is followed by version 0.8, which is then followed by version 0.8?

But that's what happens when there is no incentive for people to do the parts of programming that aren't fun. Fixing bugs isn't fun; going through the bug list isn't fun; but rewriting everything from scratch is fun (because "this time it will be done right", ha ha) and so that's what happens, over and over again.
    Last edited by Kivada; 02-16-2014 at 03:26 AM.

It's getting pretty obvious that Gnome is run by a bunch of NSA agents.

GNOME 3 is a fucking disaster. Thank god we got xfce 4, while it isn't at the quality of GNOME 2 yet, it is getting there and it is very usable.

Since a while now I'm trying to distance myself with anything related to the GNOME project as much as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by AnonymousCoward View Post
    GNOME 3 is a fucking disaster. Thank god we got xfce 4, while it isn't at the quality of GNOME 2 yet, it is getting there and it is very usable.

Since a while now I'm trying to distance myself with anything related to the GNOME project as much as possible.
    Yes, too bad XFCE depends on GTK+ which is controlled by the GNOME team. I'm waiting for Wayland+Hawaii...

The thing is, isn't geolocalisation useful at all? I mean, this function has some interest so why remove it? Why remove features for the sake of not agreeing with them? Isn't removing feature what people do complain about when it comes to GNOME? Troll spotted if you ask me. Of course it should have been made optional since it first spawned, but the fact it is now optional is good news, it proves they are doing it right.

But I think AnonymousCoward is right in some respect: if it's traditionnal UNIX-like desktop you're looking for, XFCE does it much better than GNOME now, and I think that if it is still not as polished as GNOME 2.x was back in the days, it is much, much less bloated - the very reason why, at the time, I switched to openbox + tint2 + pcmanfm. I switched back to GNOME with 3.2 because it answered the bloat issue quite well... not to everyone's approval, as you know.

How is this useful?

Any app that wanted geolocation data would just get your IP and look it up from there...

Quote Originally Posted by uid313 View Post
    How is this useful?

Any app that wanted geolocation data would just get your IP and look it up from there...

Why using the IP when there could be a GPS in the computer? And in my country location reported by IP can often differ by tens of kilometers.. Personally I'm at 70km of the reported location and I have a friend who is 400km far xD