Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Radeon 4890 getting a blank screen and fans go up to 100% (kernel 3.13)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radeon 4890 getting a blank screen and fans go up to 100% (kernel 3.13)

I've been fiddling around with the cooling on my Radeon 4890 since I previously had an 4850 with an Arctic Cooling cooling system, and was sick and tired of how much more noise the 4890 was making. I moved the better and quieter cooler to the 4890, but the problem was that some of the small heatsinks were glued to the chips using the special glue that had come with the cooler.

I mounted it anyway, without the extra heatsinks, and tried the card in the computer. It worked for a while, but then the screens went black and the fan maxed out completely. BUT I noticed that the computer was still running, so it hadn't crashed. I could SSH in and reboot it manually.

I figured the card had gotten to hot, so I switched the coolers again. But the problem was still there! I started monitoring the temperatures, and they really weren't any hotter than normal. Around 45 degrees C. The weird behavior still repeated itself, even when just browsing the web for a couple of minutes. One time it happened after only 2-3 minutes!

I then booted into Windows to see if the problem was there, and nothing happened. I ran benchmarks (3D Mark) and played Left 4 Dead on highest settings for an hour, and no issues. I then booted into Linux, and it still happened.
    So I then realized I had updated the kernel to 3.13.2 from 3.12.3, and I booted into the old kernel instead. And now I've been running some "emerges" for an hour, and browsed the web, without any issues.

Is it possible some weird bug has gotten into the 3.13 kernel? I googled the issue, and saw that there were several posts about the same behavior on the Catalyst drivers a year or so back. Even on Windows that is.

Originally posted by Azpegath View Post
    I've been fiddling around with the cooling on my Radeon 4890 since I previously had an 4850 with an Arctic Cooling cooling system, and was sick and tired of how much more noise the 4890 was making. I moved the better and quieter cooler to the 4890, but the problem was that some of the small heatsinks were glued to the chips using the special glue that had come with the cooler.

I mounted it anyway, without the extra heatsinks, and tried the card in the computer. It worked for a while, but then the screens went black and the fan maxed out completely. BUT I noticed that the computer was still running, so it hadn't crashed. I could SSH in and reboot it manually.

I figured the card had gotten to hot, so I switched the coolers again. But the problem was still there! I started monitoring the temperatures, and they really weren't any hotter than normal. Around 45 degrees C. The weird behavior still repeated itself, even when just browsing the web for a couple of minutes. One time it happened after only 2-3 minutes!

I then booted into Windows to see if the problem was there, and nothing happened. I ran benchmarks (3D Mark) and played Left 4 Dead on highest settings for an hour, and no issues. I then booted into Linux, and it still happened.
    So I then realized I had updated the kernel to 3.13.2 from 3.12.3, and I booted into the old kernel instead. And now I've been running some "emerges" for an hour, and browsed the web, without any issues.

Is it possible some weird bug has gotten into the 3.13 kernel? I googled the issue, and saw that there were several posts about the same behavior on the Catalyst drivers a year or so back. Even on Windows that is.
    I also tested the 3.13.3 kernel with the same issue still occurring.

Comment

Did you try forcing DPM? add "radeon.dpm=1" to the GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX variable in /etc/default/grub, run update-grub and reboot

Comment

Originally posted by asdfblah View Post
        Did you try forcing DPM? add "radeon.dpm=1" to the GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX variable in /etc/default/grub, run update-grub and reboot
        I used to have that, but since it's enabled by default since 3.11 or 3.12 I've removed it. The dmesg says it's enabled duting boot.

Comment

airlied said he might recognize it and asked me to write a bug report on the issue, so I've gone and done just that:

Comment

Working...
          X