Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Red Hat's Virtual Machine Manager Finally Hits v1.0

Phoronix: Red Hat's Virtual Machine Manager Finally Hits v1.0

The virt-manager software for Linux virtual machine management that was initially developed by Red Hat, but is found widely throughout the Linux ecosystem on nearly every major Linux distribution, has finally reached version 1.0...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Never used it. If this works with qemu without KVM I might give it a try. The qemy-system-i386 options are a hell to work with.

Comment

Originally posted by Rexilion View Post
      Never used it. If this works with qemu without KVM I might give it a try. The qemy-system-i386 options are a hell to work with.
      it does, it supports all major virtualization solutions. just currious, why would anyone want qemu without kvm? xen works much better than qemu in case you don't have Vt

Comment

Never even knew it didn't have its 1.0 release yet. Thinking back, it was very stable whenever I used it and I rarely encountered bugs.

Comment

it's a f***ing disgrace that KVM and virtmanager are so cumbersome to set up that a vast majority of Linux users use Virtualbox. My mom could set up Hyper-V on Windows 8, it's just a matter of installation of the feature and clicking through the wizard.
          And I'm not talking about noob users here. I've seen veteran sysadmins, people who actually did try KVM, use Virtualbox because the former's GUI management tools are so lacking.

Comment

POV I suppose. Personally I absolutely hate the Virtualbox and VMWare GUIs, they keep getting in my way and slowing me down. No, I don't want to create a VM, I want to boot this iso, now, not after 10 clicks. Without leaving extra files laying around to clean up later.

Comment

Originally posted by garegin View Post
              it's a f***ing disgrace that KVM and virtmanager are so cumbersome to set up that a vast majority of Linux users use Virtualbox. My mom could set up Hyper-V on Windows 8, it's just a matter of installation of the feature and clicking through the wizard.
              Have a look at https://wiki.gnome.org/action/show/Apps/Boxes ... gives you pretty much the same easy experience.

Comment

And I'm not talking about noob users here. I've seen veteran sysadmins, people who actually did try KVM, use Virtualbox because the former's GUI management tools are so lacking.
                Then those sysadmins are fools. Setting up KVM is literally a single meta-package on most distros. At most, you install libvirt and a few qemu-kvm packages. Virt-manager is also a single package, if you want it. I've never heard anyone say that KVM was difficult to install, so i'm curious what the trouble was.

Comment

it's a f***ing disgrace that KVM and virtmanager are so cumbersome to set up that a vast majority of Linux users use Virtualbox.
                  I’m generaly happy with VirtualBox (to run different/old Linux distros usualy); is there a reason to prefer KVM? I’ve just browsed the KVM web site but there’s no comparison with VBox there that I could find.

Comment

For me it's the other way around, kvm is so easy to install, virt-manager is a breeze to work with compared to the other products gui's and supports remote ssh connections, that i cba to go to all that trouble (dkms, heavily capped downloads) to install the others any more.

virt-manager may be missing some features, but not really essential ones imho. If anything the thing i miss most is simple grouping. And ever since zfs i don't really care about snapshoting the vm itselfs anyway so didn't miss that feature either.

But management is surely lacking from other os'es as virt-manager is linux only as far as i know and there are no good and simple webui's yet, stuff like ovirt feels more like a distro and is was to intrusive for my taste. But i must say i haven't checked for a good webui for some time.

Comment

Working...
                    X