Mir Works On Screencasting, Parallelized Page Flipping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TheOne View Post
    Will everyone have the manpower or backing to write a mir implementation for their hardware?
    fixed it for you, moron

Comment

Originally posted by TheSoulz View Post
      i do prefer Mir's way of doing this tho.
      And what way would that be? Mir and wayland compositors work exactly the same in this regard.

Comment

Originally posted by giucam View Post
        And what way would that be? Mir and wayland compositors work exactly the same in this regard.
        meant wayland's protocol plus compositor vs mir's protocol/compositor
        my understanding is that with wayland unless people use toolkits to fix it every window can be different wich would make everything look bad in my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
          imbecile, you don't have to use something exclusively to be fanboi
          what part of "i use what works" did you not understand?
          im gonna go the extra mile and be stupid by replying to you
          while Xmir is running X the drivers are being handled by mir, so basicly your puting less work on X.
          heres a good example try ubuntu with X while watching a movie turn volume up and notice the flicker that happens, now try the same with XMir

true is not the best thing to do since your running full DE on X talking to mir wich causes overhead but it fixes flickering,
          making Xmir rooted not ideal for gaming

EDIT: fullscreen gaming should differente since in theory you can bypass X and use mir to handle the remaning process fullscreen apps require
          Last edited by TheSoulz; 16 February 2014, 01:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TheOne View Post
            Well it will feel smooth since behind the scenes they have optimized the protocol implementation for the platform is running on, but is that even portable? As an example, try compiling the raspberry pi wayland implementation on other platform.
            Try running a computer with Nvidia GPU with AMD's GPU drivers.

That makes just as much sense as trying to run RPi's backend on another platform... the RPi has some very specific video hardware that needs a specific implementation.

Also community is wasting a lot of time implementing the wayland protocol over and over again.
            Only asfar as you consider having multiple different DE's a "waste of time". Is it "waste of time" to write KDE when we already have GNOME (or the other way around)? Wayland isn't exactly "just a protocol". The compositors all use libwayland, which is a common implementation of the core protocol. Writing a compositor for Wayland isn't necessarily any more complex - maybe less in some cases - than writing a window manager for X. With Wayland, the window manager and compositor are one and the same, so when you write a window manager for your Wayland-compatible DE, the writing of a compositor isn't some "extra chore" you have to do - it's just a part of writing the window manager.

Also, all of these community implementations address slightly different needs and user bases, Wayland enables them all to do their own thing while maintaining compatibility with each other. Besides, we can compare that to what does Canonical do? "Wastes a lot of time" implementing their own protocol, which no one else is going to ever use, which is incompatible with everything else in the community.

It is like running while(true){ rewrite_wayland(); } Is funny because people said Canonical/Ubuntu was causing segmentation on the linux community but actually it is the otherway around. Want to use KDE? you need their wayland implementation, want to use Gnome? hey they also wrote a wayland implementation, whoaa the new shiny hawaii desktop? Enlightment? the same sh**....
            If you're using GNOME, the Wayland compositor comes as a part of GNOME. GNOME's Wayland compositor will be compatible with KDE's Wayland compositor, but Mir won't be compatible with either.

It even took the effort of a commercial company (collabora) to write the wayland implementation for the raspberry pi. Will everyone have the manpower or backing to write a wayland implementation for their hardware? I dont think so. Lets face it, Wayland is vaporware left in the hands of others to implement.
            Let's face it, you've been severely misinformed. Firstly, you speak of commercial companies and their necessity in implementing Wayland compositors. Well, let me ask you - what exactly do you think Canonical is? A charity?

Secondly, there are some non-commercial entities implementing their own Wayland compositors - several, in fact. How many non-commercial entities are implementing anything to do with Mir - I can't even make a direct comparison here, because there is no such thing as a "Mir-compatible compositor", and there never will be, other than Canonical's.

Thirdly, Wayland is less vaporware than Mir, seeing as Wayland is being deployed on commercial devices right now - I just held a phone running Wayland in my hands a couple of days ago. Where can I buy a device with Mir? Is there any non-test-version release of any operating system shipping Mir currently? No? Then if we talk about "vaporware", it's Mir that earns this designation better.

Wayland is making good progress. Now granted, there are some problems with it - nothing is perfect, but with the collaboration of community and several commercial backers, they're nothing that can't be solved down the line. With Mir, you're placing all your eggs in one basket, and it's a basket with a history of just forgetting its eggs somewhere and never speaking of them again, so...

Comment

meant wayland's protocol plus compositor vs mir's protocol/compositor
              my understanding is that with wayland unless people use toolkits to fix it every window can be different wich would make everything look bad in my opinion.
              I'm not sure what you mean here. Are you talking about the client side decorations? That may be problem, but a solution can be found. I don't know what's Mir's policy in regard to that but my bet is that they too push for client side decorations.

Comment

I'm not sure what you mean here. Are you talking about the client side decorations? That may be problem, but a solution can be found. I don't know what's Mir's policy in regard to that but my bet is that they too push for client side decorations.
                yup, client side decorations.
                Thank you for correcting my bad english
                thats one of my biggest fears with wayland

Comment

yup, client side decorations.
                  Thank you for correcting my bad english
                  thats one of my biggest fears with wayland
                  There's nothing in the Wayland protocol mandating the use of CSD, and at least KDE is planning to keep using SSD on Wayland.

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
                    stupid kid must know that by using xmir he uses x11, not mir, and that xmir is basically renamed xwayland.
                    i.e. dumb moron uses x11 via software, developed by wayland developers and masturbates on canonical
                    With XMir one uses X11 inside Mir.
                    XMir and XWayland are very different implemented and XMir is nor based on XWayland.

[QUOTE=dee.;398364Btw, I held a Wayland phone (Sailfish) in my hand a couple of days ago, gotta say it was impressive... extremely responsive, smooth and visually stunning![/QUOTE]
                    BTW I held a Mir phone (Galaxy Nexus with Ubuntu Touch) in my hands a couple of moths ago, gotta say it was impressive... extremely responsive, smooth and visually stunning!

See, that changes nothing.

Mir and Wayland comositors work very different in that regard.
                    As a Mir compositor all you do is rendering buffers and telling Mir which program on which buffers and then tells Mir to put it on the screen.
                    As a Wayland compositor you first renders buffers, then tries to figure out which input event shall go to which program, and then tries to figure out how to tell the GPU to put this on the screen.

Mir compositors doesn't have to deal with a lot of stuff that is the same for all compositors, Wayland ones does.

Comment

Originally posted by Pajn View Post
                      BTW I held a Mir phone
                      Cool, where can I buy one?

Comment

Working...
                      X