Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No License Needed For Kubuntu Derivatives

Phoronix: No License Needed For Kubuntu Derivatives

After it came out some months ago that Canonical was trying to charge Linux Mint for its usage of Ubuntu as a base for the Linux distribution, the lead Kubuntu developer has made it clear that anyone is free to base off their KDE-focused Ubuntu distribution without fear of being charged...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Hmm, would that force Canonical to also ask Kubuntu to sign a license agreement now? If not, then Linux Mint Kubuntu Edition?

Comment

I didn't know such a license was even in use. Just lowers my expectations and views of Canonical even further.

Comment

I also didn't knew about them and Linux Mint...that really makes my opinion about Ubuntu goes down the toillet....

Comment

Originally posted by computerquip View Post
          I didn't know such a license was even in use. Just lowers my expectations and views of Canonical even further.
          And that Canonical licenses their trademarks for free to Kubuntu lowers your expectations why exactly?

Comment

yep... i will abandon unity!
            its sad, i really like global menu!

Comment

money!

money is everething in the world, look red hat and centOS

Comment

Originally posted by Vim_User View Post
                And that Canonical licenses their trademarks for free to Kubuntu lowers your expectations why exactly?
                This isn't about trademark licensing, it is about binary licensing. Ubuntu is arguing that, although the source is under an open license, the compiled binaries are not.

Comment

Originally posted by amagnoni View Post
                  yep... i will abandon unity!
                  its sad, i really like global menu!
                  Me too, and I also like the HUD brought up by the Alt key too. They should have just taken Wayland Minor fragmentations aren't problems, but when the display servers cause fragmentation, uh... oh... Unless they can turn Mir into Wayland.

Comment

Originally posted by computerquip View Post
                    Same here. Unless they pay Debian, it's a real scumbag move how they mooch of debian but they charge others. To be fair though, (IIRC) Mint does use Ubuntu's servers, whereas Ubuntu doesn't use Debian's servers. On the other hand, considering Mint is gaining more popularity than Ubuntu, it is fair that Canonical doesn't want to be paying so much for someone else's distro.

Comment

Working...
                    X