No announcement yet.

Ubuntu To Abandon Upstart, Switch To Systemd

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm honestly surprised by this decision. Mark seems like that kind of person to hold back until the very last second. I'm VERY happy that he decided quickly not to use up his resources trying to maintain package comparability with Debian while keeping a different Init system, though.

Poor Upstart, it could have been something really great (it is already pretty good) if it had more outside contributors before systemd arrived on the scene.

Comment

Sorry to so many Linux distros jumping the shark and selling their souls. At least Gentoo and Slackware have not gone bat shit insane and are not making their init systems garbage.

Comment

Extremely surprised. Especially since Debian has only decided on systemd for Jessie and not necessarily for later releases. Would have expected Mark to continue the fight.

Nevertheless, I welcome the resolution.

Comment

Originally posted by Rallos Zek View Post
          Sorry to so many Linux distros jumping the shark and selling their souls. At least Gentoo and Slackware have not gone bat shit insane and are not making their init systems garbage.
          Yes, it can't possibly be that distro maintainers actually know how to maintain a distro.

Comment

I just read an interesting take on the systemD issue. It purposefully ignores the technical aspects, instead focusing on the social ones:

Blog about professional and personal topics related with Open Source, KDE, openSUSE, agile etc. This is a personal blog.

Comment

Originally posted by Rallos Zek View Post
              Very sad situation I agree.
              Long life to Gentoo and my OpenRC init system!

Comment

Losing graciously
                and that pretty much sums up whats wrong with his thinking. Losing implies that you fight something and thats not how things should be run.

Comment

"Losing graciously" ...

why even pick up the fight in the first place? is there so much to compensate?

Had he seen the signs he would have switched and 14.04 would have systemD and no fight he had lost - and he would have debian maintain the init system for the next couple of years so he'd have more more resources for mir (...). If he is going to bring out a product he needs to focus on the technically best solution and not dabble with feelings. Still im happy he came back to reason and gave signals to switch.
                  THOUGH i must say a certain amount of fragmentation might be welcome if there were issues, so there would be an elaborate alternative if issues appeared in the future. But with ubuntu being the biggest Linux Distro, I don't know if its wise to do...

Im not that much into technical details, so thats my muble and subjective opinion. And if anyone was to comment on it I'd sure get wiser

Comment

only the haters!

only the haters make stories about this.

no one using ubuntu cares about using systemd or upstart, red hat continues to use upstart in this OS

if this is the better tec decision i will be happy if not...

Comment

That's... surprising. I'm glad they decided to do that, although it's a bit out of the blue.
                      Well, I guess this means that the case is reaching an end.

Comment

Working...
                      X