Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AJSB View Post
    ...but did he have a choice ?

I don't think so....maybe for a short time , yes...and indeed that's exactly how it will happen like for 14.04 and i'm sure for 14.10...but in the long run ?

No way.
    he did have a choice to use upstart when debian used systemvinit. he did a have choice to use mir when everyone else were working on wayland. you also had a choice to write something smart, but no way, you chose to write bullshit

Comment

Originally posted by AJSB View Post
      Debian won't drop sysvinit in *future* releases , starting with Debia 8 ?!?
      I tought that they would as soon as transition to systemd is complete...
      Nope. In jessie they're mandating sysvinit support (otherwise upgrades would be impossible). In later releases, they're asking for sysvinit scripts to continue to be maintained, but only as best effort. But they're not dropping sysvinit.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
        Debian could have went with Upstart, but was held back by the CLA.
        If Canonical didn't require CLA on Upstart, the Debian outcome could have had an other outcome.
        if canonical didn't require cla, upstart would have just become systemd

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
          Debian could have went with Upstart, but was held back by the CLA.
          If Canonical didn't require CLA on Upstart, the Debian outcome could have had an other outcome.
          Did you read the mailing list discussion? CLA was never a critical factor. systemd had major technical advantages over upstart. That was the primary issue. CLA certainly didn't help, but even without it systemd still had technical advantages.

Comment

Originally posted by sireangelus View Post
            I'm against systemd for the simple reason that it's becoming too much intertwined with a lot of subsystems, the worst case beign gnome that can't be run without it(see all the problems the guys at sabayon had, they had to implement systemd on their own cause of it)
            so either you don't want to run gnome and this dependence is irrelevant, or you want to run gnome an then being against systemd is pretty stupid

Comment

Now we know how Mark become millionare, he just know when to stop and to accept that he is not right!

Comment

To the user, this literally means nothing. I think its funny how angry people are getting over this.

Comment

Originally posted by dh04000 View Post
                  To the user, this literally means nothing. I think its funny how angry people are getting over this.
                  i thought gnome was pretty usery

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
                    so either you don't want to run gnome and this dependence is irrelevant, or you want to run gnome an then being against systemd is pretty stupid
                    Agree.
                    Upstreams should be free to choose their dependencies in order to provide what they want to their users.
                    I can't image a normal user that wants login into gnome and starts to worry about the init system.
                    The users play with the DE as their direct layer, the init system is too under the hood for them, so the distros should do their work: package the upstream software for their users in a easy, comfortable and bug-free way.

Comment

That's a change i didn't see coming. Big surprise in a positive way.
                      Next: Mir to Wayland?

Comment

Working...
                      X