Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: No License Needed For Kubuntu Derivatives

Default No License Needed For Kubuntu Derivatives

Phoronix: No License Needed For Kubuntu Derivatives

After it came out some months ago that Canonical was trying to charge Linux Mint for its usage of Ubuntu as a base for the Linux distribution, the lead Kubuntu developer has made it clear that anyone is free to base off their KDE-focused Ubuntu distribution without fear of being charged...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTYwNDM

Hmm, would that force Canonical to also ask Kubuntu to sign a license agreement now? If not, then Linux Mint Kubuntu Edition?

I didn't know such a license was even in use. Just lowers my expectations and views of Canonical even further.

I also didn't knew about them and Linux Mint...that really makes my opinion about Ubuntu goes down the toillet....

Quote Originally Posted by computerquip View Post
    I didn't know such a license was even in use. Just lowers my expectations and views of Canonical even further.
    And that Canonical licenses their trademarks for free to Kubuntu lowers your expectations why exactly?

yep... i will abandon unity!
    its sad, i really like global menu!

Default money!

money is everething in the world, look red hat and centOS

Quote Originally Posted by Vim_User View Post
    And that Canonical licenses their trademarks for free to Kubuntu lowers your expectations why exactly?
    This isn't about trademark licensing, it is about binary licensing. Ubuntu is arguing that, although the source is under an open license, the compiled binaries are not.

Quote Originally Posted by amagnoni View Post
    yep... i will abandon unity!
    its sad, i really like global menu!
    Me too, and I also like the HUD brought up by the Alt key too. They should have just taken Wayland Minor fragmentations aren't problems, but when the display servers cause fragmentation, uh... oh... Unless they can turn Mir into Wayland.

Quote Originally Posted by computerquip View Post
    Same here. Unless they pay Debian, it's a real scumbag move how they mooch of debian but they charge others. To be fair though, (IIRC) Mint does use Ubuntu's servers, whereas Ubuntu doesn't use Debian's servers. On the other hand, considering Mint is gaining more popularity than Ubuntu, it is fair that Canonical doesn't want to be paying so much for someone else's distro.