No announcement yet.

9-Way AMD Radeon Comparison On Ubuntu With Catalyst 14.1 Beta

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is there some asinine reason we can't see a full AMD FX-8350 pairing with the AMD GPGPUs running against the Intel/AMD GPGPU combo?

How about progress of CodeXL 1.3 showing the full swath of OpenCL leveraging the CPU/GPGPU combo of AMD?

Comment

Originally posted by Marc Driftmeyer View Post
      Is there some asinine reason we can't see a full AMD FX-8350 pairing with the AMD GPGPUs running against the Intel/AMD GPGPU combo?

How about progress of CodeXL 1.3 showing the full swath of OpenCL leveraging the CPU/GPGPU combo of AMD?
      A bit of an over-reaction eh? There is a reason AMD isn't used in 99% of all benchmark websites, though I wouldn't consider it asinine. If you want the most accurate results, you use the best system to your disposal. Considering intel beats AMD in most tests, it makes sense to only use them. It also makes sense why you'd want an overkill amount of RAM and a single SSD (RAID could have an impact on results).

I'm not bashing AMD, I myself own a FX-6300 which I use almost every day. But like every test, you need a control group, and that's what intel falls under.

Comment

Thanks!

Thanks for this long awaited test. By chance my R9 290 arrived yesterday. Great play times ahead! Yay! ^^
        Lockheed

Comment

Originally posted by Marc Driftmeyer View Post

It would be nice to see the results of an AMD CPU/GPU pairing, because I found some benchmarks where the performance on my AMD FX-8320 bottlenecked due to the single-core performance not being up at the level of Intel CPUs.
          My CPU/GPU config is the AMD FX 8320 and R9 270X, the CPU appeared to be a bottleneck on a few of the benchmarks; OpenArena, Xonotic, etc (sorry don't remember them all. I couldn't save the benchmarks using the suite due to some of the tests that couldn't find the OpenCL libraries on my Fedora setup). Other benchmarks such as the Unigine Heaven/Valley the results were comparable to those with the Intel CPU/R9 270X, I presume this is because they are very demanding on OpenGL and most work is being done by the GPU or it could also be that they make use of the additional cores?!
          Additionally, I have an overclocked GPU Sapphire R9 270X Toxic 2GB; here both the core and unusually the memory too is overclocked resulting in an ~10% boost. So when I said the Unigine results where comparable they were actually a tad better on my system.

Comment

Working...
          X