Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 9-Way AMD Radeon Comparison On Ubuntu With Catalyst 14.1 Beta

Phoronix: 9-Way AMD Radeon Comparison On Ubuntu With Catalyst 14.1 Beta

For those curious how AMD's Catalyst Linux performance is doing as we get 2014 underway with the first Catalyst 14.1 beta, here are benchmarks from nine different AMD Radeon graphics cards under Ubuntu Linux and running this latest publicly available driver when looking at both the OpenGL graphics and OpenCL compute performance.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Nice review, it looks like the R290 is finally starting to deliver some of it's available performance under Linux as well as Windows.

Would it be possible when producing a driver review like this to include the most recent previous benchmark result for each of the cards as well as the new driver?

This would make it much easier to see what is changing instead of having to try and reference two articles to determine the differences.

Comment

Originally posted by Herem View Post
      Nice review, it looks like the R290 is finally starting to deliver some of it's available performance under Linux as well as Windows.

Would it be possible when producing a driver review like this to include the most recent previous benchmark result for each of the cards as well as the new driver?

This would make it much easier to see what is changing instead of having to try and reference two articles to determine the differences.
      At some point when more drivers are out I may do such a comparison with the R9 290 and other CIK hardware... But this article, as explained in the article, was just about sharing some new AMD Linux benchmarks prior to a big Linux hardware review in the coming days.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

HD6450 would be doing so much better if it had a 128-bit interface instead of the 64-bit interface. Even if it was the GDDR5 version, the 64-bit interface cripples it pretty severely.

Also could we maybe get a 9way comparision with the same hardware running the open source radeon vs 14.1 catalyst beta?

Comment

Originally posted by Herem View Post
          R9 290, not R290.

Comment

Indeed

Originally posted by synaptix View Post
            HD6450 would be doing so much better if it had a 128-bit interface instead of the 64-bit interface. Even if it was the GDDR5 version, the 64-bit interface cripples it pretty severely.

Also could we maybe get a 9way comparision with the same hardware running the open source radeon vs 14.1 catalyst beta?
            Yes, please, a Radeon vs catalyst 13.12 vs catalyst 14.1

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
              At some point when more drivers are out I may do such a comparison with the R9 290 and other CIK hardware... But this article, as explained in the article, was just about sharing some new AMD Linux benchmarks prior to a big Linux hardware review in the coming days.
              I believe that he actually made feature request for Phoronix.com to automatically fetch data from (openbenchmarking?) the past, and providing that for reference point.

As opposed to request for mooooorrrrreeeee benchmarks to be made (Though we surely will read all those that You work on right now)

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                At some point when more drivers are out I may do such a comparison
                Could you alternatively maybe just add a link with a comparison with some recent benchmark on openbenchmarking? It's alway so cumbersome to search a fitting benchmark there...

Or, also alternatively, could you add a search functionality to openbenchmarking to search for benchmarks with the same set of tests as the current one? I'm sometimes trying to compare results but then they just have 2 or 3 benchmarks in common and it doesn't really work out...

Comment

I'm mainly just interested in seeing the performance gains of the 7950. I don't even own anything of the HD7000 series, but the 7950 I think would be the best to show improvements.

Also, did hell freeze over or something? I'm surprised nobody is complaining about "irrelevant tests" (finally)

Comment

Any ideas what's the reason for the bad performance of 7950 in GpuTest Volplosion?
                    Actually it's the full 7xxx line and up (excluding R9 290).

Thanks for these benchmarks, Michael!

Comment

Working...
                    X