Kdbus Will Likely Be Merged Into The Kernel This Year

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mark45 View Post
    An idiot issues a shitty throw-away term about kdbus and the people wonder why he said so - flash news - because annabel is an idiot, like those idiots who still like X.org and hence believe Wayland is a cancer.
    If you ever used even ONE of the IPC systems I listed you would know that dbus is a cancer.
    Fanboys like you are the real cancer, go back to drink your milk

Comment

Originally posted by Annabel View Post
      If you ever used even ONE of the IPC systems I listed you would know that dbus is a cancer.
      Could you give any examples why dbus is that bad?

Comment

Originally posted by tomato View Post
        avahi is implementation of Apple protocol, Bonjour, and while it is nice, it is a security nightmare

early implementations of Pulseaudio were very, very, very buggy, to the point that people were considering piping to /dev/dsp was actually an improvement

systemd is just "Waah, waah, my world is changing and I don't like it! I don't want to learn new stuff that will make my life easier in the medium to long term!"
        Aha, thanks. I never experienced any issues with Pulseaudio, other than missing midi support in Wine. And systemd actually worked really nice when I used it on Arch Linux.

Comment

Sorry, I actually programmed using standard UNIX IPC (2 way communication and synchronisation between 5 different processes), let me tell you, the dbus "cancer" is much, much more sane, robust and usable IPC than any of the sockets, fifo's, shared memories and whatnot of the 80's.
          If you want any kind of broadcasting you have to implement dbus, all over again. If your mantra is "no code reuse, ever", I'd rather not see your code...

Comment

Sorry, I actually programmed using standard UNIX IPC (2 way communication and synchronisation between 5 different processes), let me tell you, the dbus "cancer" is much, much more sane, robust and usable IPC than any of the sockets, fifo's, shared memories and whatnot of the 80's.
            Did I ever said that the unix IPC does not suck? no, I didn't, because it does suck (there is one exception, pipes is not bad for parent-child communication, IMO)
            btw shared memory is double cancer

If you want any kind of broadcasting you have to implement dbus, all over again. If your mantra is "no code reuse, ever", I'd rather not see your code...
            I think you could use POSIX message queues but this is the only POSIX IPC that I have not used, so I can not say much

Originally posted by clementl View Post
            Could you give any examples why dbus is that bad?
            yes, wait some time
            Last edited by Annabel; 13 February 2014, 04:55 PM.

Comment

Did I ever said that the unix IPC does not suck? no, I didn't, because it does suck (there is one exception, pipes is not bad for parent-child communication, IMO)
              btw shared memory is double cancer
              if you say "everything sucks", the "sucks" part looses meaning and you're just spewing bile all over the place

Comment

if you say "everything sucks", the "sucks" part looses meaning and you're just spewing bile all over the place
                Sadly all software sucks, some more, some other less, if you think otherwise you are dreaming

Comment

Sadly all software sucks, some more, some other less, if you think otherwise you are dreaming
                  http://harmful.cat-v.org/software/
                  I?d argue the opposite: all software is awesome, some just not as much as others. The fact that we can get complex systems do our work for us facinates me.

Call me an optimist.

Comment

http://harmful.cat-v.org/software/
                    > CVS and ed being the "better thing" compared to anything, ever
                    > all GUI toolkits (Qt, GTK and VxWindows) worse than Tk or terminal UI

I don't know what world do you live in, but I'm absolutely sure I don't want to ever as much as visit it

> BSD licence or public domain better than GPL

aah, and I know what world you come from, and I don't want to visit it

Comment

> CVS and ed being the "better thing" compared to anything, ever
                      CVS is indeed better than SVN
                      ed is just much less bloated than other editors

> all GUI toolkits (Qt, GTK and VxWindows) worse than Tk or terminal UI
                      Guess what, all of these are shit compared to Tk

> BSD licence or public domain better than GPL

aah, and I know what world you come from, and I don't want to visit it
                      sadly you do not know from what world I come from. I like the (A)GPL much more than BSD

Comment

Working...
                      X