Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Mainlines Its VCE OpenMAX Support In Gallium3D

Phoronix: AMD Mainlines Its VCE OpenMAX Support In Gallium3D

AMD has mainlined its support for hardware-accelerated open-source H.264 video encoding into Mesa for recent Radeon GPUs...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

This for the RadeonSi only or will it work on 5000/6000 cards as well?

Comment

Michael

Can you change the category image to the AMD logo instead?

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
        is there a valid reason why?
        Michael Larabel
        https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Because the category for AMD is supposed to be a representation that conveys the semantics of AMD to the user.

Right now, there is no such semantic association. It is impossible from the little image to know if it is an article about AMD, Intel, or some other company.
          It is too disambigious and unclear.

Keep it simple and straight to the point.

Comment

Originally posted by Dukenukemx View Post
            As long as I can find VCE is only found in RadeonSI hardware and newer.

Comment

Originally posted by Dukenukemx View Post
              It works on Bonaire (R7 260, R7 260X), Hawaii (R9 290, R9 290X), Kabini and Kaveri APUs.
              It does not currently support the older Southern Islands cards (R7 240-250X, R9 265-280X or the Richland and Trinity APUs), but might in the future.
              It will never support Northern Islands (R5 230-235X) or Evergreen (R5 220) cards nor the Llano or Zacate APUs which don't have a VCE.

I also expect that other encoder hardware like the one found on Theater 550 won't be supported either.
              Originally posted by _SXX_ View Post
              As long as I can find VCE is only found in RadeonSI hardware and newer.
              Trinity and Richland APUs are not RadeonSI, but do have VCE 1.0.

Comment

He he he, nvidia fan boy.

Comment

Originally posted by chithanh View Post
                  Trinity and Richland APUs are not RadeonSI, but do have VCE 1.0.
                  Thanks for info, didn't tried to use google-fu on APUs. :

Comment

Well, I really hope this makes it to my HD7850 too, I'm not going to change it in the forseeable future (I mean, it JUST started to work properly on linux!) and I would like to be able to use it to its full extent.

Comment

Working...
                    X