Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What It Takes To Port An X11 Application To Wayland

Phoronix: What It Takes To Port An X11 Application To Wayland

For those wondering what it entails in porting a program that previously depended upon X11 and its APIs to now working natively on Wayland without XWayland, here are some FOSDEM slides to check out...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

PDF anyone?

It's a no-go not to publish slides as PDF nowadays...
    Still, a very interesting topic!

Comment

Ehh just download the ODP file open it in LibreOffice and click "Export as PDF"...

Comment

No shit, Sherlock!

Originally posted by blackout23 View Post
        Ehh just download the ODP file open it in LibreOffice and click "Export as PDF"...
        Thanks, dude, I wouldn't have ever found that out myself!

Now, imagine a world where not everyone has LibreOffice on their computers. That's reality.

Comment

Originally posted by frign View Post

Now, imagine a world where not everyone has LibreOffice on their computers. That's reality.
          Or a PDF viewer... Or a web browser...

Just install LibreOffice. It's free and open source as I'm sure you know.

Alternatively, You can use Google Docs, a Firefox Extension, or one of the many online converters \ viewers...

Really, if this was an MS Word document I'd understand, but a free open format with free open specifications? What the hell man?

Comment

No!

Originally posted by c117152 View Post
            Or a PDF viewer... Or a web browser...

Just install LibreOffice. It's free and open source as I'm sure you know.

Alternatively, You can use Google Docs, a Firefox Extension, or one of the many online converters \ viewers...

Really, if this was an MS Word document I'd understand, but a free open format with free open specifications? What the hell man?
            LibreOffice may be free software, but dude, is it heavy!
            Google Docs and the other viewers are SaaSS's, not too good.

Yo, I have to ask what speaks against just publishing it as a PDF. Hell, why would I want to modify it?

Comment

It was presented at FOSDOM right? When will a video to compliment these slides be available?

Slides are meant to help a presentation, not give the presentation for you... You can't get 100% of the information from slides.

Comment

So is a world where not everyone has a PDF viewer on their computers.

Complain much?

Comment

Originally posted by dee. View Post
                  So is a world where not everyone has a PDF viewer on their computers.

Complain much?
                  I get your point, but PDF-viewers are much simpler pieces of software than an office-suite.
                  There are positive examples like gnumeric and abiword, but we don't have a sufficient counterpart for odp-files.

Comment

I get your point, but PDF-viewers are much simpler pieces of software than an office-suite.
                    There are positive examples like gnumeric and abiword, but we don't have a sufficient counterpart for odp-files.
                    And who says that ODP files need an office suite to be viewed.

It's better to encourage open standards, rather than stick to a crappy, proprietary format just because it's the prevalent format.

Otherwise, we might as well all just pack our bags and start using windows...

Comment

Working...
                    X