What It Takes To Port An X11 Application To Wayland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by frign View Post
    LibreOffice may be free software, but dude, is it heavy!
    Google Docs and the other viewers are SaaSS's, not too good.

Yo, I have to ask what speaks against just publishing it as a PDF. Hell, why would I want to modify it?
    First off, WebODF is open source (https://gitorious.org/webodf/ https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/webodf/) and works off-line.

Secondly, I suppose as a matter of policy, releasing as an editable format is the Open Source? thing to do

But yeah, I can see how releasing a PDF too would have made life easier.

Still, were it me and I were given the choice of either, but not both, I'd would have gone with the editable one as well.

Comment

Right!

Originally posted by dee. View Post
      And who says that ODP files need an office suite to be viewed.

It's better to encourage open standards, rather than stick to a crappy, proprietary format just because it's the prevalent format.
      So, give me an example for a free program which does in fact read odp-files and is not an office-suite.

Yes, I agree with you on that one. I prefer the open document formats over Microsoft's, but can't agree on the fact they're used in cases which aren't necessary.

Here for instance, sharing it as a PDF (which is also an open format) makes much more sense .

Comment

So, give me an example for a free program which does in fact read odp-files and is not an office-suite.

Yes, I agree with you on that one. I prefer the open document formats over Microsoft's, but can't agree on the fact they're used in cases which aren't necessary.

Here for instance, sharing it as a PDF (which is also an open format) makes much more sense .
        Okular.

Comment

Good one!

Originally posted by Serafean View Post
          Okular.

Thanks for suggesting me a part of the cancerous disease KDE-programs are. Hell, this pulls in more dependencies than LibreOffice, lol.

Comment

Thanks for suggesting me a part of the cancerous disease KDE-programs are. Hell, this pulls in more dependencies than LibreOffice, lol.
            cancerous disease you talking about Qt liscence? LOL KDE can reliscence it to whatever they want, but right now they kinda want the free support of Digia

Comment

You really are one seriously whiny bitch aren't you?

Comment

Originally posted by litfan View Post
                You really are one seriously whiny bitch aren't you?
                Trolls keep trolling.

No, I am just not as ignorant as you appear to be.

Comment

Originally posted by gufide View Post
                  cancerous disease you talking about Qt liscence? LOL KDE can reliscence it to whatever they want, but right now they kinda want the free support of Digia
                  No, it's not about Qt or its license. Qt is fine .

I am talking about KDE's software bloat.

Comment

Originally posted by dee. View Post
                    And who says that ODP files need an office suite to be viewed.

It's better to encourage open standards, rather than stick to a crappy, proprietary format just because it's the prevalent format.

Otherwise, we might as well all just pack our bags and start using windows...
                    And while we're at it, let's not follow other open standards like X11, OSS, POSIX ... These standards suck so let's replace them with Linux-specific non-standard ways to do things (everyone uses Linux, right?). Complaining about proprietary ... ha!

The hypocrisy from the Linux community is astounding. Just earlier this century the Linux community was constantly whining about Microsoft not following standards. Now they have invented their own Linux-specific ways to do things. It's as if the rest of the Unix world didn't exist (and to be fair, Linux is starting to diverge from Unix-like).

Comment

Originally posted by nslay View Post
                      And while we're at it, let's not follow other open standards like X11, OSS, POSIX ... These standards suck so let's replace them with Linux-specific non-standard ways to do things (everyone uses Linux, right?). Complaining about proprietary ... ha!

The hypocrisy from the Linux community is astounding. Just earlier this century the Linux community was constantly whining about Microsoft not following standards. Now they have invented their own Linux-specific ways to do things. It's as if the rest of the Unix world didn't exist (and to be fair, Linux is starting to diverge from Unix-like).
                      Are there any Linux specific file formats or network protocols that I missed or are you just trolling? If you talk about kernel APIs (that for example systemd use) you're free to reimplement them, guess what? They are open-source and documented! Or you can fork the tools that use said APIs and strip them out. Can you do this on Windows, too? No? Then stop comparing apples to oranges.

Comment

Working...
                      X