Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: What It Takes To Port An X11 Application To Wayland

Quote Originally Posted by mannerov View Post
    Euh... no

You can use OpenGL with Wayland (Weston uses OpenGL ES for rendering, but clients can use OpenGL). And your old games using GLX will work with XWayland.

The talk is just about having a system with absolutely nothing related to X. That makes sense for phones for example (Tizen, etc).
    For example since OpenGL 1 headers are somehow related to X, it forbids the usage of OpenGL 1 (But you can have on your desktop OpenGL 1 applications working with EGL without installing XWayland or X).
    Well, on desktops we also strive to have nothing related to X. XWayland is of course not an option.
    But yea, you're right, thinking about it, linking to OpenGL means just linking to libGL provided by whatever vendor there is, so I guess I will get automatic Wayland support as soon as I switch to SDL2 after all.

Quote Originally Posted by nanonyme View Post
    Having it in ODP instead of PDF meant I couldn't view it while on the train but had to wait until I got home because my smart phone doesn't have LibreOffice but it does have a PDF reader.
    Blame your smartphone manufacturer for not adhering to standards in document interchange.

Quote Originally Posted by brosis View Post
    Blame your smartphone manufacturer for not adhering to standards in document interchange.
    pdf is an international standard (ISO 32000-1:2008).
    The "standards in document interchange" do not say "Everyone must implement support for each and every single possible of form of document that is a standard".

Quote Originally Posted by GreatEmerald View Post
    Huh, that's true, Wayland only supports EGL/GLES at the moment... Argh... My game does use quite a few OpenGL calls (though basic ones, so they're probably not hard to port to EGL/GLES), so I'll have to go through the effort of porting it. And here I thought SDL2 would have done that automatically (but apparently it's only true for the built-in drawing functionality, which is too basic for my needs).
    You should probably read http://lists.freedesktop.org/archive...ry/000770.html to clarify how it really is.

Quote Originally Posted by nslay View Post
    And while we're at it, let's not follow other open standards like X11, OSS, POSIX ... These standards suck so let's replace them with Linux-specific non-standard ways to do things (everyone uses Linux, right?). Complaining about proprietary ... ha!

The hypocrisy from the Linux community is astounding. Just earlier this century the Linux community was constantly whining about Microsoft not following standards. Now they have invented their own Linux-specific ways to do things. It's as if the rest of the Unix world didn't exist (and to be fair, Linux is starting to diverge from Unix-like).
    rest of unix world is macos
    if you want to stop sucking, stop whining at people doing something useful and start doing something useful yourself

Quote Originally Posted by Delgarde View Post
    Well, it *is* a built-in browser feature these days...
    just like libreoffice *is* a built-in linux feature
    not everyone uses your browser

Quote Originally Posted by pal666 View Post
    just like libreoffice *is* a built-in linux feature
    not everyone uses your browser
    No, it's included in most Linux distributions, which is different.
    I'd be interested in the number of distributions that include libreoffice but no pdf reader.

Quote Originally Posted by erendorn View Post
    No, it's included in most Linux distributions, which is different.
    I'd be interested in the number of distributions that include libreoffice but no pdf reader.
    Libreoffice can import PDFs, no?

Quote Originally Posted by curaga View Post
    Libreoffice can import PDFs, no?
    I cannot try here, and it wasn't clear with a quick search that this is core or plug-in functionality in Libroffice, but it's quite possible.