Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mozilla's Use Of GPUs For 2D Acceleration

Phoronix: Mozilla's Use Of GPUs For 2D Acceleration

While many are upset right now over Mozilla's new advertising agenda, they are still investing on technical improvements to Firefox, including when it comes to 2D acceleration...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Unfortunately no slides from the presentation have yet to widely surface
    This link to the slides was shown in the video:

best regards,

- h

Comment

Slides here (took it from the video)

Comment

I hope they don't remove the option to "Hide the new tab page" (in the upper-right corner when you open a new tab).

I wonder if there will be any about:config setting to disable the ads.

I wonder if adblockers will be able to block the ads since new tab is a built-in page, not a page on the web.
        I wonder if they are going to try to prevent adblockers from blocking the ads.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
          I wonder if adblockers will be able to block the ads since new tab is a built-in page, not a page on the web.
          I wonder if they are going to try to prevent adblockers from blocking the ads.
          Firefox is open source, so it is possible to create branch of Firefox with no ads. I'm sure someone will make it.

Comment

I hope they make drawImage() performance better (JavaScript method that is part of the HTML5 Canvas).

Also, I think 2D acceleration on Linux is worse than on Windows. I hope they fix that.
            Also WebGL needs some improvements on Linux, with many drivers being blacklisted.

Also, I really hope they finish the GTK3 port soon.
            And get it ported to Wayland.

Also its insane there is no syntax highlighting support and line numbering for JavaScript, JSON and CSS files.

Comment

Originally posted by Szzz View Post
              Firefox is open source, so it is possible to create branch of Firefox with no ads. I'm sure someone will make it.
              I would call it "iceweasel." Oh, wait....

EDIT: If anyone would like to give a quick summary for those of us who prefer text over videos and/or slieshows, it would be appreciated.

Comment

OH MY F***ING GOD stop turning it into clickbait Micheal. Seriously.

To all those worried about this:
                While many are upset right now over Mozilla's new advertising agenda
                Don't be. They are not ads, they are pre-pinned sites on the new tab page FOR NEW USERS ONLY. Not ads. If you set up a new profile/re-install FF fresh, it will show some default pinned sites. The sites that were "sponsored" WILL BE CLEARLY MARKED AS SO.

Want to know how to get rid of them? UN-PIN THEM. It's a one-click process to un-pin a freaking site. No need for adblock, because they aren't f***king ads.
                Read the article people: https://blog.mozilla.org/advancingco...at-the-center/

I tried posting something like this over in the actual thread, but it was buried by people in a governmental discussion...
                Thanks Micheal, for promoting FALSE INFORMATION in order for you to get money. There are so many names I want to call you right now.

Comment

Originally posted by Daktyl198 View Post
                  OH MY F***ING GOD stop turning it into clickbait Micheal. Seriously.

To all those worried about this:

Don't be. They are not ads, they are pre-pinned sites on the new tab page FOR NEW USERS ONLY. Not ads. If you set up a new profile/re-install FF fresh, it will show some default pinned sites. The sites that were "sponsored" WILL BE CLEARLY MARKED AS SO.

Want to know how to get rid of them? UN-PIN THEM. It's a one-click process to un-pin a freaking site. No need for adblock, because they aren't f***king ads.
                  Read the article people: https://blog.mozilla.org/advancingco...at-the-center/

I tried posting something like this over in the actual thread, but it was buried by people in a governmental discussion...
                  Thanks Micheal, for promoting FALSE INFORMATION in order for you to get money. There are so many names I want to call you right now.
                  Thank you. People who spread FUD are the worst.

Comment

For once I am actually glad to be using Iceweasel and not Firefox. No matter what shit hits the fan, I can be sure that the guys maintaining and packaging Iceweasel will make the right decision.

Comment

Working...
                    X