Fake Debian Developers Try To Get Free Linux Games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
    Maybe they wouldn't if you didn't use the worst ads?
    Who gonna bear with Flash ads, audio ads, video ads, auto-playing videos, and contextual links that insert them everywhere?

AdBlock Plus whitelists Google AdWords and other sane advertisers who are not too intrusive and in-your-face with attention-grabbing animated ads.
    Originally posted by Pallidus View Post
    btw I don't mind the scale 12x whatever ads but I have seen everything from microsoft to single ukrainian whores ads on this site so no wonder people are blocking them
    This.

I had done a fresh Gentoo install, so Firefox didn't have any add-ons or whatever. I browsed the web for a week or so without AdBlock, there wasn't any issues. Then I visited Phoronix, and instantly went to install AdBlock.

And FYI, as uid said, AdBlock does allow for non-intrusive advertising (which is enabled by default (aka opt-out)), so if you are mad about AdBlock start using some non-intrusive advertising, in the end you'd probably make more money from advertising. You could probably log how many visitors use AdBlock and see what the difference would be.

Comment

This is pretty shameful - if you want free commercial games at least have the decency to pirate the Windows version and submit bug reports to Wine. :P

Also, w.r.t. Adblock: if you're making data available on a publicly-accessible webserver, and the data gets rendered on my machine; I'm gonna do whatever the hell I want with it, including choose to not display whatever content I myself decide. No-one is entitled to viewers of their webpages necessarily also viewing the advertisements on them.

Comment

Originally posted by the303 View Post
        The last paragraph of this article, like many others, does not let me turn AdBlock off on this site. You should pay me money because you made me read a paragraph of your own utter BS opinions that don't even combine to a valid logic system. You are way too time stealing.

Your nonesense argument can go many ways. Like did you get permission for reporting other's work (that they do for free) and earning money over it with loosely written articles? They making the news public does not mean that they let you use it. I can steal all your website's data and republish it with that logic. And as counter-argument: your site is public and I can do whatever I want with it, AdBlock or not.
        @computerquip

I'll actually amend my previous complaint. There are a couple people other than Michael who post. Their articles are not anywhere near as grotesque or self promoting.
        Couple of posters here need to tone down the criticism about 50 notches or so. I love the articles, and I especially love all the hard work and reviews Michael does - I'm not about to sit here and watch people spewing this kind of over-the-top, completely untrue crap.

If you've got that much of a problem with the man's writing, you need to take your sorry ass back to 4chan or Reddit or slashdot or whatever slimey webernet hole you crawled out of.

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post
          If you've got that much of a problem with the man's writing, you need to take your sorry ass back to 4chan or Reddit or slashdot or whatever slimey webernet hole you crawled out of.
          It does puzzle me that some people hate the Phoronix content so much, that they've been hanging around on the forums for years complaining about it...

Comment

Originally posted by the303 View Post
            The last paragraph of this article, like many others, does not let me turn AdBlock off on this site. You should pay me money because you made me read a paragraph of your own utter BS opinions that don't even combine to a valid logic system. You are way too time stealing.

Your nonesense argument can go many ways. Like did you get permission for reporting other's work (that they do for free) and earning money over it with loosely written articles? They making the news public does not mean that they let you use it. I can steal all your website's data and republish it with that logic. And as counter-argument: your site is public and I can do whatever I want with it, AdBlock or not.
            +1

Nails were hit on their heads with this one.

Comment

Originally posted by Delgarde View Post
              It does puzzle me that some people hate the Phoronix content so much, that they've been hanging around on the forums for years complaining about it...
              A bitter-sweet, hate-love relationship

Comment

such stupidity... just replace 'valve' with any other corporation:

"apple's a good company -- a world favourite among retards and fags. All of their products have won massive amounts of rewards and always tops the most sough after lists. They make great products and provide great services to retards -- they even bring us shinier laptops. Heck, they even made one of their operating systems free: OS X 10.9. What is not to like? "

It never EVER EVER fails to surprise me how some people in the linux community are so quickly to embrace corporations like google or valve...

I have no problems with paying or using proprietary software, I do HAVE problems with DRM and "you can only buy this if you use this service" "you can only play/use this software if you also agree to use this other software"

valve is slime, I don't care what you retards say, valve goes AGAINST everything LINUX SHOULD STAND FOR.

btw phoronix, out of respect, I DON'T BLOCK YOUR ADS, but take a look at the shit I have to deal with:

DONT TELL ME THATS NOT SOME GAY SHIT RIGHT THERE

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
                  At the time the blog post was written, almost 25% of the Debian developers had requested their keys for gaining free access to the Valve titles offered via the Steam Linux client.
                  I find it interesting that so many have abandoned their anti-DRM policy for this offer.
                  While at first there were many that just wanted Valve to offer official Linux support via the Steam client and Source Engine, now that it's here, they want it at no cost.
                  If it's possible to get it for free, there are people bound to try exploit the system and I doubt it is just GNU/Linux users who wants it free of charge.
                  There's also many Phoronix readers out there who depend upon this site as the sole source for Linux hardware content and news yet utilize AdBlock and other measures that are a severe deprivation to its well being.
                  This article gives no reason to add your personal opinion regarding people who block ads.

Comment

Originally posted by Kemosabe View Post
                    Steam is free by the way [...]
                    Steam is freeware, rather than FLOSS.
                    Originally posted by Kemosabe View Post
                    [...]there are DRM free games on steam.
                    There are quite few of them though and you are still forced to install them through Steam.
                    Originally posted by mmstick View Post
                    First off, you can easily check and see what information steam is getting and if you have ever used a packet sniffer before, it's really just hardware information if you chose to be included in the survey statistics.
                    What about the keep-alive packages and the Steam protocol packages we're unable to packet dissect? Furthermore, "offline mode" still contacts Valve.
                    Second, you don't enter any personal information when creating a Steam account... you simply pick a username, password, and your email for Steam Guard security so that even if a hacker somehow had your username and password, they would be unable to log into your account unless they also hacked your email.
                    I suggest reading through the privacy policy again.
                    Valve's a good company [...]
                    There is no such thing as a "good company".
                    All of their games have won massive amounts of rewards [...]
                    Strange, I can't find any awards for "Day of Defeat: Source" nor several other of them.
                    [...] always tops the most played lists.
                    What lists do you base this on?
                    They make great games [...]
                    This is a personal opinion.
                    they even bring us cheaper games.
                    In what way, may I ask?
                    Heck, they even made one of their best games free: Team Fortress 2.
                    I wouldn't call it "free", as unless you buy from the store from the "Steam Wallet" (where the minimum you can pay is $5/?5/?5), you have a severely limited game.
                    What is not to like?
                    Steam as DRM platform, rather than a purely social platform.

Comment

Originally posted by Annabel View Post
                      Each time you visit this site with adblock on, one kitty dies
                      what this even has to do with the topic?

Posted by my Iceweasel using adblock
                      Still blocking ads here.

Slide Show I Made For The Meatmen Found Your Cat. Enjoy.

Comment

Working...
                      X