Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fake Debian Developers Try To Get Free Linux Games

Phoronix: Fake Debian Developers Try To Get Free Linux Games

With Valve giving away their games free to Debian developers and now Valve's games are free to Ubuntu developers too, sadly it's no surprise there's some individuals trying to be impostors and get these games for free by posing as the developers...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

There are always people that want things for free.

Humble Bundle's data still indicates that Linux games are willing to pay, and consistently pay more than Windows users, which contradicts the "Linux people are cheapskates" theory. With more games becoming available, I think people are starting to get out of the "buy every game that comes out" habit, and looking more toward games they actually would enjoy playing.

I know I've purchased a lot of Linux games on Steam, including almost all of Valve's titles, and I plan to continue doing so.
    Free Software Developer .:. Mesa and Xorg
    Opinions expressed in these forum posts are my own.

Comment

Not better?

Well, I think I am not any better, as I tried to request access with my Ubuntu Member status... Shame on me

Of course, only "Ubuntu Developers" have access (Dafuq?!)...

Why do packagers get access, and Unity developers (like me), Mesa devs etc. not?

Comment

So some individuals have tried to game the system, how do you even know that they are Linux users? Are this keys somehow bound to an OS?

Sadly this doesn't come as much of a surprise... While at first there were many that just wanted Valve to offer official Linux support via the Steam client and Source Engine, now that it's here, they want it at no cost. There's also other Linux distribution developers out there also wanting free access to Valve's Linux games.
        It is Valve who started giving away games for free, afaik nobody asked them for it, or am I wrong?

There's also many Phoronix readers out there who depend upon this site as the sole source for Linux hardware content and news yet utilize AdBlock and other measures that are a severe deprivation to its well being.
        I've got an interesting info bit for you. All add supported websites are struggling due to add blocking mechanisms. But way to piss on your readers and Linux users Michael, well done!

There's also been blemishes to Valve's other Linux work with users unsatisfied with optional closed-source bits like the Steam in-home streaming and VR interfaces, etc. A few years ago when there were many Phoronix exclusives about Valve's forthcoming Linux work, users didn't believe it or they simply wanted it, but now that they have access to it they want it for free, which really doesn't show well for the Linux community especially with its minority market-share compared to Windows gamers.
        Yeah, those pesky open source fanactics are all just cheapskates and want open source just to avoid having to pay for anything.

I've also heard similar criticism of Linux gamers from my surfing buddies. In the end, we shall see how well Linux gaming can compete with Windows from the perspective of game studios or whether they end up with unsatisfaction like from the early LGP and Loki days.
        Right, because there is no piracy on Windows. Those Linux gamers are the lowest scam there is.

What is wrong with you Michael? What happened?

PS:
        I am disabling the add blocker on websites I frequent regularly. I don't use Steam. For me it is just another walled garden. But yeah, I am a Linux user and gamer...

Comment

There's also many Phoronix readers out there who depend upon this site as the sole source for Linux hardware content and news yet utilize AdBlock and other measures that are a severe deprivation to its well being
          Each time you visit this site with adblock on, one kitty dies
          what this even has to do with the topic?

Posted by my Iceweasel using adblock

Comment

Is it really worth the effort? You can get Valve's entire back catalogue for very little money very frequently in the sales.

Comment

Originally posted by log0 View Post
              But yeah, I am a Linux user and gamer...
              Yea, you pay for nothing! Just like me with my steam account worth around $1500... oh wait...

Comment

People usinga AdBlock

Maybe they wouldn't if you didn't use the worst ads?
                Who gonna bear with Flash ads, audio ads, video ads, auto-playing videos, and contextual links that insert them everywhere?

AdBlock Plus whitelists Google AdWords and other sane advertisers who are not too intrusive and in-your-face with attention-grabbing animated ads.

Comment

Valve keys are OS-independent, no? So while there's always jerks on any OS, these 12 could have well been Windows gam0rz.

Comment

This is especially stupid because, as Steam is an online distribution system, even if they gave you the key, they could withdraw it and ban you later. They would even shame you if you had added any extra info to the account, for instance if in the past you've added a credit card to pay for something.

So yeah, there's always someone who tries to game the system, but as the post shows, not very cleverly.

Comment

Working...
                    X