No announcement yet.

Fake Debian Developers Try To Get Free Linux Games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was never blocking ads on phoronix... BUT just because you've deleted my comment where I just told you THAT I NEVER BLOCK ADS ON YOUR SITE - from now and for ever phoronix gonna look as cleen as on this screenshots

Comment

have you ever used steam?

no need for credit card....

Comment

I subscribe to people I enjoy on Youtube and Twitch. Here's why I use adblock on Phoronix when I don't on others:

The ads are invasive.
        The ads have a history of being malicious.

You're articles aren't worth the money you ask for (subscription or ad-ridden website). I can create my own web crawler or subscribe to the various mailing lists myself to get the same content. I usually just visit the forums or read the headline then research myself because the information in the articles are often incorrect and misleading.

Even further, there's a simple lack of professionalism in the articles where you appear to be incapable of proper grammar and/or spell check.

The more you hate on people who visit your website, the more I really don't care to give you ad revenue.

Perhaps you shouldn't make Phoronix your living if this is the best you can do.

Comment

Originally posted by computerquip View Post
          I subscribe to people I enjoy on Youtube and Twitch. Here's why I use adblock on Phoronix when I don't on others:

The ads are invasive.
          The ads have a history of being malicious.

You're articles aren't worth the money you ask for (subscription or ad-ridden website). I can create my own web crawler or subscribe to the various mailing lists myself to get the same content. I usually just visit the forums or read the headline then research myself because the information in the articles are often incorrect and misleading.

Even further, there's a simple lack of professionalism in the articles where you appear to be incapable of proper grammar and/or spell check.

The more you hate on people who visit your website, the more I really don't care to give you ad revenue.

Perhaps you shouldn't make Phoronix your living if this is the best you can do.

I almost wet my pants
          Sweet Irony....

But yes, i also use adblock. There are more polite ways to use ads.

Comment

Originally posted by Pallidus View Post
            oh btw, I never used it but explain this to me: can I just download steam and install it and go straight to download the indie free games?

or do I have to install steam... then fill my personal information, make a steam account, enter my credit card details etc etc and then be able to download free indie games?
            Use of Steam requires a valid Steam account. Creating a Steam account requires an email address, and acceptance of the Steam Subscriber Agreement.

Comment

Originally posted by Pallidus View Post
              yep Kemo because you know exactly what information steam is sending to their servers.

I don't trust MS or apple shit dialing home and I'm gonna trust some 2 bit game company scan my information...

oh btw, I never used it but explain this to me: can I just download steam and install it and go straight to download the indie free games?

or do I have to install steam... then fill my personal information, make a steam account, enter my credit card details etc etc and then be able to download free indie games?
              Bwahahaha. Tell me more about how delusional you are.

First off, you can easily check and see what information steam is getting and if you have ever used a packet sniffer before, it's really just hardware information if you chose to be included in the survey statistics.

Second, you don't enter any personal information when creating a Steam account... you simply pick a username, password, and your email for Steam Guard security so that even if a hacker somehow had your username and password, they would be unable to log into your account unless they also hacked your email.

Third, you only enter credit card details when you are purchasing a game with your credit/debit card. You know, they do sell Steam cards in stores...but then you probably hate your retail stores because they collect information about your credit card too. I guess you hate places like Newegg and Amazon too since they gather much more information than Steam does...

Valve's a good company -- a world favourite among indie developers and PC gamers. All of their games have won massive amounts of rewards and always tops the most played lists. They make great games and provide great services to gamers -- they even bring us cheaper games. Heck, they even made one of their best games free: Team Fortress 2. What is not to like?
              Last edited by mmstick; 13 February 2014, 10:46 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by pythoner View Post
                I almost wet my pants
                Sweet Irony....

But yes, i also use adblock. There are more polite ways to use ads.
                I didn't know I was attempting to write professional articles and attempting to make a living off of it.

Comment

Originally posted by _artem_ View Post
                  BUT just because you've deleted my comment where I just told you THAT I NEVER BLOCK ADS ON YOUR SITE...
                  He deleted your post where you said that you don't block ads on phoronix... what?
                  why would anyone ever do that? it just sounds weird

this is my 100th post
                  Last edited by Annabel; 13 February 2014, 11:03 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by computerquip View Post
                    I didn't know I was attempting to write professional articles and attempting to make a living off of it.
                    Relax. My Reply was 75% funny. But:

I wouldnt complain about something that i cant do better myself. Real Grammarnazis know their trade

Comment

Basically it is a good idea that Linux (Debian/Ubuntu or whatever) developers can get Valve games for free. I tried to get the games as well but that seems to require a gpg signed email (but i only use gpg for the Kanotix repository). Maybe he counts me as fake Debian developer too, no idea. I bought Half-Life complete pack years ago, somebody donated me L4D2 (1 year before it was free for 1 day) and i still use L4D2 for driver tests. It is interesting to see how mesa drivers get optimized for source engine and it always disappointing to test fglrx with my HD 5670. I hope that at least all mesa devs get the games as they should be able to test em. Of course Team Fortress 2 or Dota 2 is free, i tried those games but i did not really like em - it is no fun to test things with games you don't like

Comment

Working...
                      X