GNU Guix Package Manager Looks To Grow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Annabel View Post
    would you mind to give a example please?
    Look Debian GNU/Hurd, the same happens for Debian GNU/kFreeBSD

Comment

Originally posted by dee. View Post
      ftfy.
      ------------
      Code:
      $ guile
      scheme@(guile-user)> (it (appears (to (use (((scheme ((((((syntax)))))))))))))
      While compiling expression:
      ERROR: Syntax error:
      unknown file:1:0: syntax: bad `syntax' form in form (syntax)

Code:
      $ csi

CHICKEN
      (c) 2008-2013, The Chicken Team
      (c) 2000-2007, Felix L. Winkelmann
      Version 4.8.0.5 (stability/4.8.0) (rev 5bd53ac)
      linux-unix-gnu-x86-64 [ 64bit manyargs dload ptables ]
      compiled 2013-10-03 on aeryn.xorinia.dim (Darwin)

#;1> (it (appears (to (use (((scheme ((((((syntax)))))))))))))

Error: invalid extension specifier: (((scheme ((((((syntax)))))))))

Call history:

<syntax>	  (it (appears (to (use (((scheme ((((((syntax)))))))))))))
      	<syntax>	  (appears (to (use (((scheme ((((((syntax))))))))))))
      	<syntax>	  (to (use (((scheme ((((((syntax)))))))))))
      	<syntax>	  (use (((scheme ((((((syntax))))))))))
      	<syntax>	  (##core#require-extension ((((scheme ((((((syntax)))))))))) #t)	<--

but really, why you hate the scheme syntax? (the right name is "S-Expression" btw)

Comment

[QUOTE=shaurz;397384]It appears to use Scheme syntax for packages. Not ideal in my opinion but I guess it beats shell scripts (since you have full access to a real programming language).

well, you can do everything witl a shell script...
        it's a different language!
        Sellscripts are a language more close to Human bean...
        of course, that because of that its a lot different than C language...and a Developer have a hard time understanding it...
        But in the same way a Old SysAdmin(at least) have a hard time understanding C language too...or not...

They are used by different people(One is for developers , the other for sysadmins, and people that quickly want to do something...time is money..)!

But for your information... APT is not written in Shell script language?!!!!!

APT is written in Java, which is powerful language!! And is in fact, a antagonic decision, because Java is not the best Language for Operating systems...having a tool in java, you will depend definitely on Java virtual machine

Comment

Originally posted by tuxd3v View Post
          APT is written in Java, which is powerful language!!
          The Debian package manager (or rather dpkg frontend) APT is not written in Java. Check again.

Comment

Originally posted by tuubi View Post
            The Debian package manager (or rather dpkg frontend) APT is not written in Java. Check again.
            APT, is not only a frontend for dpkg...
            APT resolve dependencies and download them, the install work is made then by dpkg...

Thanks for remember me that...but i saw somewhere that this management system is using java...

Or I am right now confused with some gnu tool..

I checked again and java headless is needed by apt..so if it won't use it....why it depends on it?

Any way thanks

Comment

APT, is not only a frontend for dpkg...
              APT resolve dependencies and download them, the install work is made then by dpkg...
              It does depend on dpkg for a bit more than just the installation part, but it's not just a simple frontend, I'll give you that.

I checked again and java headless is needed by apt..so if it won't use it....why it depends on it?
              No java dependency for the apt package on my distro (Mint). Nor apparently Debian or Ubuntu. Can't be bothered to check others, but there's no real dependency unless a distro has added something java-based to the package downstream.
              Last edited by tuubi; 29 December 2014, 07:57 AM. Reason: typo

Comment

Working...
              X