Mozilla To Begin Pushing Ads To The New Tabs Page

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Straximus View Post
    There's only two way you are seeing that. 1) You haven't updated Chrome in a long time. 2) You explicitly re-enabled the Apps page in chrome://flags after Google disabled it.

The default new tab view in Chrome now is a list of your most-visited sites.
    Well, i don't know what's going on, but it's chrome 32 and i definitely never enabled some chrome flag behind the scenes. It is on windows, so maybe that's different on linux, although i wouldn't think so.

I hardly ever use chrome, so there probably wouldn't be enough sites to even fill up the full list, but i do notice that a handful of sites i've gone to aren't showing up. So maybe there's something blocking that for some reason.

Anyway, if the current status is supposed to be that those google sites are there by default but get replaced by what sites you visit - that's exactly the same as what firefox is proposing.

Comment

This is disgusting. Someone fork it please.

Comment

Originally posted by ihatemichael View Post
        This is disgusting. Someone fork it please.
        "Someone" with 300M$ annually. Would be nice of him.

Comment

Originally posted by erendorn View Post
          Meanwhile at Google:
          "Hey man, why are we paying for Firefox when we have Chrome?"
          "To control the competition, see they have us as starting page and default search engine"
          "Can't we just let them die?"
          "Yea,tell them we stop sponsering, they should use ads instead"

Comment

How much of that goes to Firefox OS and other crap no one needs?

Comment

1) So what will human do? Unemployed people are paid here, for a long time. To do nothing. Mostly, they do not seem happy.
              2) If I have only my arms to produce goods for improving my life, I'll use my arms. If I have a robot and my arms to produce good for improving my life, I'll use the robot and my arms. There is no magical level where humanity has "enough" (unless it's when needs are fulfilled, and experience shows that most people do not stop there when they reach that) that it can stop using available capital without making any difference. There can be a point though where most of human workforce becomes uncompetitive (compared to robotic workforce), and at that point, because of 1, all these people feeling useless may not feel like living the utopia you paint.
              Huxley's Brave New World, the ultimate in human happiness.

We're not in post-scarcity world yet, the unemployed money is barely enough to live, and comes with strings. If it were basic income enough to live on, no strings attached, would the people not be happier?

Comment

Chrome is much MUCH faster than Firefox right now. This new "feature" is just another one reason to avoid Firefox...

Comment

How To Disable New-Tab Page

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
                  Hmm, well, I guess I might have to consider starting to use the home page as the default new tab page...
                  If you go in to about:config in firefox, and search for "browser.newtab.url", you can change it to the default URL that a new-tab page will open to.. If you set/change the "browser.newtab.url" value to "about:blank", then it will cause any new tabs you open to be blank.. This is what I have done for years..

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
                    Huxley's Brave New World, the ultimate in human happiness.

We're not in post-scarcity world yet, the unemployed money is barely enough to live, and comes with strings. If it were basic income enough to live on, no strings attached, would the people not be happier?
                    I don't think so, although as often it can vary widely from one individual to another.
                    If we define the threshold of "enough to live with" at the point where money stops contributing to happiness (around 50k$, depending on country), we can observe many people that keep on working even above that threshold. And I remember that sense of usefulness and having an occupation contribute to happiness regardless of the income, but I don't have any study to back that up right now.
                    Also, relative position in society is a strong contributor to happiness, especially at the bottom (that one is fairly well documented), which means that even f people have enough to live, they may try to get more just to differentiate themselves from the other members of their group.

But anyway, my feeling is that even though some people would be happier doing nothing that their current occupation, it does not mean they would be happy doing nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post
                      You mean Corporatism not Capitalism, Capitalism hasn't been used in practice in hundreds of years, and things like "public" companies (and hence stock markets) and intellectual property are inherently anti-capitalistic.
                      That's the point. Even if we had such a "true" capitalism, we would end up right here. When capital accumulation means power, our system becomes inherently corrupted as powerful people interfere with laws or rules to become even more powerful. That's what happened historically and that's what will happen again if we adopt, again, that "true" capitalism.

Comment

Working...
                      X