Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mozilla To Begin Pushing Ads To The New Tabs Page

Phoronix: Mozilla To Begin Pushing Ads To The New Tabs Page

Mozilla will begin pushing sponsored ads/sites into the directory tiles when entering the new tabs page where traditionally it has showed the most frequently visited sites...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

as they better try to capitalize off the web browser. Ads are a way of life on the Internet; as a publisher myself dependent upon ads for making a living, and believer in capitalism, great job Mozilla
    LOL!

Looks like it's time to move to icecat or to a non-shitty/bloated browser

Comment

Originally posted by Annabel View Post
      LOL!

Looks like it's time to move to icecat or to a non-shitty/bloated browser
      Indeed, Firefox is open source. Anybody is free to fork it and remove the ads. I am sure Iceweasel and Icecat will ship without any ads.

Comment

and believer in capitalism
        aaand ad blocker enabled again.

Capitalism is one of the worst possible systems. It's only used because most people are too stupid to see through it. The fact that the stocksystem is still up and running is a further proof that the reason capitalism works is based upon the stupidity of the masses.

As Capitalism is the current system, of course everyone needs money to survive. (if he doesn't want to kill other people or steal from other people, that is.) But it's one thing to live in a system and accept that it's not currently changeable and a completely different thing to not accept but think that the system is the best there is and making a religion out of it.
        Last edited by Detructor; 12 February 2014, 01:14 PM.

Comment

As a free spirit and not believer in ads, just wanna say, that ads is nothing to me, so i will not be a part of just a number of ad views, i block ads everywhere i can. Not to mention, that ff is going down.

Comment

I hope malware won't be distributed by advertisers who might show a sign of infection. If there's any sign of malware coming from compromised advertiser, that will be a violation of trust and therefore will be blocked off from my computer.

And this is no matter how much cautious we can be in the Internet and no matter how up-to-date anti-virus programs can be, especially when it coes to Windows.

I'd say "security and web of trust must come first before revenue."

As an owner of your website, you must be vigilant and keep an eye in advertisers to make sure they will not get their ad servers compromised by malware attack. That is why people like me are using AdBlock/NoScript (Firefox) or NotScript (Chrome)/FlashControl to protect themselves. I know how much it hurts your revenue for your website. Even if it's to protect them from scams (scamvertising).

Well, people may have to compromise in their security measures so that websites like yours can receive revenue from advertising or go premium.

Please pardon me for all the fear tactic in my post, but being vigilant and following security practices are a must.

Comment

Originally posted by Detructor View Post
              aaand ad blocker enabled again.
              Are here people who use the internet (or even this site) without adblock? hah

Comment

I think it's sad that Mozilla is trying make Firefox be like Chrome despite users complaining about the changes. First by implementing Chrom* tabs with Australis, despite major complaints pushes towards stable, and secondly by implementing ads in the browser. Shame that Mozilla do this towards Firefox.

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
                [...]as they better try to capitalize off the web browser. Ads are a way of life on the Internet; as a publisher myself dependent upon ads for making a living, and believer in capitalism, great job, Mozilla
                Personal opinions has nothing to do with news journalism.

Comment

Originally posted by Annabel View Post
                  Are here people who use the internet (or even this site) without adblock? hah
                  Well, there's still me who seems exactly five ads on every Phoronix page (well except for the "Reply to Thread" page, there is only four ads here).

Comment

What ever happened to the Mozilla Foundation being a non-profit organization? This stinks of profit whoring to me.

Comment

Working...
                    X