The New Phoronix Site Design

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Put it to 90% zoom

Hey i know workaround for insane look of new Phoronix site.
    I put it to 90% zoom in Seamonkey/Firefox
    and.. is is almost sane looking, but just a bit looking like some half/empty site..
    (Yes, I use Noscript addon for blocking external third-party javascript, Flash and Google
    and save my bandwith and CPU power)

Maybe that could be done by default. Putting whole site to 90% by default from now?

Comment

Originally posted by oskaras View Post
      Thank you, good man, god bless you! Is it possible to add similar colors for the forums as well? The white forums after the dark themed site is like waking up to the sound of a truck honking next to your bed.

Comment

Originally posted by Markore View Post
        Hey i know workaround for insane look of new Phoronix site.
        I put it to 90% zoom in Seamonkey/Firefox
        and.. is is almost sane looking, but just a bit looking like some half/empty site..
        (Yes, I use Noscript addon for blocking external third-party javascript, Flash and Google
        and save my bandwith and CPU power)

Maybe that could be done by default. Putting whole site to 90% by default from now?
        Hey, I remember hearing that there exists a plugin in the Firefox world of the name "Greasemonkey", that lets users do similar things I did with my little phoronix plugin for Chrome (see my thread in Site Discussion). Perhaps you (or someone) could take what I did with my plugin and make it into a greasemonkey script. (My plugin is basically some javascript playing with DOM and a CSS file containing the old phoronix theme, made to work with the current site) So I believe it should not be very hard to port it to the other browser(s).

Comment

Hi

new design is kind of okay, but i was hoping for a mobile ui layout...

Keep up the good work !

Comment

Originally posted by Apopas View Post
            The white is too white! It hurts the eyes.
            Pfft, turn down the brightness The brightness setting of your monitor should match the ambient lighting or you'll strain your eyes

I don't understand why UI designers keep increasing font size every time we get higher display resolutions! I wanted to utilize those extra pixels to put more data on my screen! Rather than just slightly more rounded characters...sigh...
            You actually want larger fonts and less "information density" for reading text. And you actually want sharper fonts. You just don't know it yet http://ia.net/blog/Improving-the-Dig...ng-Experience/

Michael, the new site looks much better than before. Ignore the haters, they just haven't gotten used to it yet

Comment

Originally posted by Saverios View Post
              Thank you, good man, god bless you! Is it possible to add similar colors for the forums as well? The white forums after the dark themed site is like waking up to the sound of a truck honking next to your bed.
              I have in plans to do dark-forum style as well but when it's harder question.

Comment

Originally posted by mudig View Post
                Pfft, turn down the brightness The brightness setting of your monitor should match the ambient lighting or you'll strain your eyes
                Too bad desktops don't come with ambient light sensors, or software-controllable backlights. Perhaps you manually tweak the light level every 10min as the sun shifts?

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
                  Too bad desktops don't come with ambient light sensors, or software-controllable backlights. Perhaps you manually tweak the light level every 10min as the sun shifts?
                  My desktop monitor comes with quick access controls for modes, most of the time I use the 2 lowest-brightness modes and my notebook has a software-controlled backlight. Not sure what kind of desktop you use or what's so bad about manually adjusting the brightness? Your eyes will thank you.

My point here is again that the new design is fine, it's just that people have the wrong settings or haven't allowed their brain to get used to the new design. Brightness too high or antialiasing turned off maybe because the screen is shitty or the colors are off so antialiased text looks bad or they just refuse to get used to it. Or they don't know that hintslight+subpixel antialiasing (like done on Ubuntu) gives better looking results than the defaults in e.g. OpenSuse and Fedora. Or if they want to use hintfull, they're not using Infinality's patches. And then they complain that the design is crap, not knowing that the problem is elsewhere. I want to keep Michael from listening to them.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
                    Hmm, well actually some do, don't they? Or you could just use the awesome software f.lux which adjusts the screen brightness for you, based on the sun's cycle. I've been using it for a couple of years.
                    Last edited by Azpegath; 13 February 2014, 07:18 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Azpegath View Post
                      Hmm, well actually some do, don't they? Or you could just use the awesome software f.lux which adjusts the screen brightness for you, based on the sun's cycle. I've been using it for a couple of years.
                      Great piece of software +1

Comment

Working...
                      X