No announcement yet.

The New Phoronix Site Design

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Das ist wirklich schrecklich! I have read Phoronix regularly and really liked it, but the new design makes it more difficult to read. Will be there an option to switch to the older version?
    You probably also could have chosen a better image.

I view most webpages in high zoom (like 115%) and that may cause partially the bad experience.

Comment

gg font.

Comment

Originally posted by oleid View Post
        I agree, the page is really nice. And it seems somehow faster.

Considering the use of Adblock: I disabled adblock for phoronix a long time ago, however, I still use ghostery which basically disables tracking me in the web. Using ghostery, no ad is displayed on phoronix. I wouldn't mind seeing ads on phorinix, however, I don't wan't to be tracked. Is there any way around this issue?
        You can go into Ghostery's settings and turn of ad-blocking. And only control the ads with Adblock. That's what I do.

On-topic:
        I like the new site. The white and green fits better together with the forums than the gray site did. I also hope there are plans to update the forums. I'd like to see a forum based on FluxBB, like the Arch Linux Forums.
        Last edited by xeekei; 12 February 2014, 04:36 AM.

Comment

Can we expect a mobile friendly phoronix?

Comment

Actually, now there is almost no page at all - just very big text and no graphic elements at all with white background, "so hard to do, so modern".

Comment

Originally posted by Mat2 View Post
              Das ist wirklich schrecklich! I have read Phoronix regularly and really liked it, but the new design makes it more difficult to read. Will be there an option to switch to the older version?
              You probably also could have chosen a better image.

I view most webpages in high zoom (like 115%) and that may cause partially the bad experience.
              I don't know if this post is ironic or not, but watching pages at 115% isn't really a common use case. To me, the new fonts are a bit too large, so perhaps you can scale down to 100% now? Check it out and see what you think.

Why do you think it is more difficult to read? In what way, I mean? I think Michael needs more informative feedback than "it's worse!" to improve it.

To Michael: I think the new design is an improvement, but to me it feels like there is some needed tweaking still to be done. The article font is a bit too large, which creates a little bit to much spacing in the articles. I like the wider main column, more adapted to a modern high-resolution monitor.

Comment

Better then /.

The new design of slashdot also features a bigger font size and less informationdensity, but somehow phoronix got it right.
                It all comes down to abandoning the margin on the side, even for widescreen layout.

Comment

Originally posted by newwen View Post
                  Can we expect a mobile friendly phoronix?
                  I don't know if you actually read the articles but:

Over the next few days will be more tweaks and modifications so please check back for updates; more mobile optimizations, hopefully some new Phoronix Premium work, trying to sort out an iPhone font rendering issue, and some other modifications.

Comment

I suppose this isn't intentional? http://imgur.com/12o56L2

Comment

Definitely easier on the eyes.
                      I would just make the background a bit dark (less white) and the text a bit lighter (less dark), much like the right panel...

Feels a bit like Office 2013 (too washed out). Not as much as Office, but still.

Comment

Working...
                      X