Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: AMD Publishes New Code For Open-Source VCE Video Encode

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    15,133

    Default AMD Publishes New Code For Open-Source VCE Video Encode

    Phoronix: AMD Publishes New Code For Open-Source VCE Video Encode

    AMD has published a second version of their open-source Linux driver code for exposing the "VCE" video engine on modern Radeon GPUs under Linux via OpenMAX for accelerated H.264 video encoding...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTYwMTE

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    15

    Default

    Is this more likely to be supported by HandBrake than Intel Quick Sync?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    365

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pumahove View Post
    Is this more likely to be supported by HandBrake than Intel Quick Sync?
    VCE at least uses a standard API, so I'd say yes. It's not a proprietary single-vendor interface like VA-API, so a backend would possibly work on more hardware.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    329

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pumahove View Post
    Is this more likely to be supported by HandBrake than Intel Quick Sync?
    I don't have Intel Hardware with that very feature, however, from what I'm reading the Intel HW encoding stuff should be supported via vaapi which in turn is supported e.g. via gstreamer. OpenMAX, which is the encoding interface of choice for the radeon driver, is supported via gstreamer, too.

    The following page lists gstreamer as dependency,
    https://trac.handbrake.fr/wiki/CompileOnLinux

    however only for the GUI. The encoding seems to be done via the corresponding software libraries directly. Thus, there will be no radeon hw encoding support for handbrake in near future.

    Maybe you could try this one, http://www.transcoder.org/ -- it uses gstreamer for the encoding stuff.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    486

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by oleid View Post
    I don't have Intel Hardware with that very feature, however, from what I'm reading the Intel HW encoding stuff should be supported via vaapi which in turn is supported e.g. via gstreamer. OpenMAX, which is the encoding interface of choice for the radeon driver, is supported via gstreamer, too.

    The following page lists gstreamer as dependency,
    https://trac.handbrake.fr/wiki/CompileOnLinux

    however only for the GUI. The encoding seems to be done via the corresponding software libraries directly. Thus, there will be no radeon hw encoding support for handbrake in near future.

    Maybe you could try this one, http://www.transcoder.org/ -- it uses gstreamer for the encoding stuff.
    Considering Handbrake's Gstreamer libs are old I'd imagine they'd have to do some updating and that is what happens with software.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    1

    Default Deciding?

    I've seen a lot of news recently about VCE, but what is the current state of play for hardware offloaded decoding ? Under Debian, I understand the necessary mesa libs still have a ways to go for even basic VDPAU integration.

    Is that right? Does anyone have any up to date information on open source h265 decoding in hardware?

    Thanks,
    Jonathan

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    329

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Driftmeyer View Post
    Considering Handbrake's Gstreamer libs are old I'd imagine they'd have to do some updating and that is what happens with software.
    Sure. But they'd have to update it in a way, that they use gstreamer also for encoding, not only for decoding.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Ukraine
    Posts
    142

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by griffous View Post
    hardware offloaded decoding ?
    It works fine with DRi_PRIME
    https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=67283




  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    2,395

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by griffous View Post
    I've seen a lot of news recently about VCE, but what is the current state of play for hardware offloaded decoding ? Under Debian, I understand the necessary mesa libs still have a ways to go for even basic VDPAU integration.
    Decoding using VDPAU for UVD works fine. You'll need a relatively recent version of mesa. 10.0.x or 10.1.x should be fine.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by oleid View Post
    I don't have Intel Hardware with that very feature, however, from what I'm reading the Intel HW encoding stuff should be supported via vaapi which in turn is supported e.g. via gstreamer. OpenMAX, which is the encoding interface of choice for the radeon driver, is supported via gstreamer, too.

    The following page lists gstreamer as dependency,
    https://trac.handbrake.fr/wiki/CompileOnLinux

    however only for the GUI. The encoding seems to be done via the corresponding software libraries directly. Thus, there will be no radeon hw encoding support for handbrake in near future.

    Maybe you could try this one, http://www.transcoder.org/ -- it uses gstreamer for the encoding stuff.
    Thank you. I'll check out that Arista transcoder. I hope it supports extracting the subtitles from DVDs and Blu-rays and either including them as subtitle tracks or burned in. I'm looking for an all in one type software.

    Any rumors of AMD making patches for HandBrake though? I remember reading some years ago where they helped with OpenCL patches.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •