Systemd Is The Future Of Debian

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Skrapion View Post
    As far as Stallman and his uncompromising rhetoric, I'll take it more seriously after every other developer has been personally granted $1m+ like he has.
    I've not read anywhere that he was given $1 million, but even if he were, the value of the IP he has contributed to the world far exceeds any financial rewards he has received. Cygnus alone was sold for $600 million.

Comment

• Originally posted by curaga View Post
      Source? The MacArthur grant was 240k, far from a million.
      In addition to the $830K he was granted in 2001.

Comment

• systemd and wayland, btrfs etc are the future of linux. period

let the buntus eat a dick and grind themselves to obscurity while trying to maintain their own cla shit

Comment

• Originally posted by Skrapion View Post
          I'll take it more seriously after every other developer has been personally granted $1m+ like he has.
          Yeah, I can see this happening. Especially since 99% of developers are dumbasses writing useless crap in Java or APS.NET or some other atrocity they think is a PL. If they all disappeared tomorrow, no-one would would shed one tear for them.

RMS contributed ideas and code first, received money later. And so it will be for others. For those who have something useful to contribute that is.

Comment

• Originally posted by uid313 View Post
            You don't see Stallman living in luxury and having it good.
            The guy lives a very simple life.

He is no hypocrite, the guy is dedicated to what be believes in.
            The point is, it's easier to give lessons about giving back when you yourself receive a lot. The fact that he needs little is virtuous, but the fact that he receives more than he needs puts him in a situation different from most of the world.

Comment

• Originally posted by uid313 View Post
              You don't see Stallman living in luxury and having it good.
              The guy lives a very simple life.

He is no hypocrite, the guy is dedicated to what be believes in.
              He's no hypocrite. Just a crazy guy that don't take showers.

Comment

• Originally posted by erendorn View Post
                The point is, it's easier to give lessons about giving back when you yourself receive a lot. The fact that he needs little is virtuous, but the fact that he receives more than he needs puts him in a situation different from most of the world.
                Thats true. But he started preaching his philosphy well before he started getting money for it. He publicly annouced the GNU project in 1983, and didn't get his first MacAruther Fellowship until 1990. So for 7 years he was "putting his money where his mouth was".

I'd also point out that someone with his level of programming experiance could be making a lot more money in the private sector as a consultant. But instead he spent the last almost 40 years doing his thing.

I'm not saying that was he is proposing is easy, or even that I would do it. But I don't think it is fair to suggest he would be doing something different were it not for the money.

Comment

• Originally posted by inhuman4 View Post
                  Thats true. But he started preaching his philosphy well before he started getting money for it. He publicly annouced the GNU project in 1983, and didn't get his first MacAruther Fellowship until 1990. So for 7 years he was "putting his money where his mouth was".
                  Fair enough.

Comment

• While continuing my work on case 2, I found something quite interesting with regards to Jackson's behaviour:
                    Originally posted by Ian Jackson
                    Also, I get the impression me that the "integration" of much of this
                    functionality into the systemd source package has been done for
                    political rather than technical reasons. Indeed to the extent that
                    there is a problematically tight technical coupling between these
                    components, I find it difficult to avoid doubting the good faith of
                    the people making those decisions. At the very least, I worry that
                    the systemd project as a whole is far too willing to impose decisions
                    of all kinds on its downstreams.

Under those kind of circumstances I am willing for the Debian project
                    as a whole to go to quite some effort (and, indeed, impose some effort
                    even on the maintainers of systemd in Debian) to retain the
                    flexibility that I think is important. That flexibility certainly
                    includes the ability for a user to drop use of parts of systemd that
                    they don't find desirable.
                    In other words, he really does believe that there is some conspiracy going on... And he thinks that making a crusade against it is his duty, which comes above the mere needs of the maintainers. That explains why he is so insistent on the original L, despite the fact that it's harmful to Upstart... And why he fears "facts on the ground" so much.

Sigh...

Comment

• Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
                      In other words, he really does believe that there is some conspiracy going on...
                      Isn't he right?

Comment

Working...
                      X