Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by profoundWHALE View Post
    durrr i am the le reddits poster le le le monkey faice epikkkk
    You should change your name to be just "WHALE", it's more fitting - I've yet to see you say anything profound at all.

Comment

Originally posted by yogi_berra View Post
      Except that's not how copyright works. Nice troll though, you get a gold star for effort.
      Keep that star, your troll-detector is broken!

This is exactly how copyright works. People contributed under GPL2 (not GPL2+, not current GPL). They have not assigned Linus the right to change license wither. So he has three options:

1. Continue with GPL2 for the price of facing all the incompatibility with outdated license version.
      2. Find all people who contributed (copyright owners) under GPL2 and ask them for license change.
      3. Isolate the code pieces and ask/rewrite as needed.

Big problem with 2 and 3 is thats a waste of effort and time, so his take is 1., but its equally a wasted time/broken ecosystem in the long run.

Comment

Originally posted by Truth View Post
        You should change your name to be just "WHALE", it's more fitting - I've yet to see you say anything profound at all.
        Equally, the name "Troll" tells much more "Truth" about you.

You have to laugh at GPL sluts, patriot-act supporting scum that they are.

The endless FUD they spread to try and justify their removal of freedom just like the US government uses to justify the NSA/TSA.

And yet after all the claims they invent and attribute to the GPL, they go and spread the same FUD about projects like systemd - even when said project uses the LGPL! Hah!
        Calling something a lie without proving it, does not make it "True". Prove it.
        GPL being copyleft, is incompatible with proprietary code, BSD is highly compatible.
        Stallman was one of the first people who publicly called mobile phones spying devices. And was laughed on, until Snowden proved it.

GPL sluts get wrecked once again by my vastly superior intellect.
        Superior intellect? GPL sluts?
        I have only one explanation to this - your head already reached integer overfollow and became a black hole.
        It already literally sucks and blows. Both ways.

See, your head is already derailing the topic with it. I am not sure that forum rules allow *that* much of a "sucking".

Comment

Originally posted by litfan
          Stallman also thinks pedophilia doesn't harm children. http://stallman.org/archives/2012-no...8Pedophilia%29

By all means, keep sucking Stallmans dick though.
          Though you are the only dick sucker here, you are also a straw picker - I don't support pedophilia of any kind.

Comment

Originally posted by brosis View Post
            Equally, the name "Troll" tells much more "Truth" about you.
            Stating the Truth isn't trolling kiddo.

Calling something a lie without proving it, does not make it "True". Prove it.
            GPL being copyleft, is incompatible with proprietary code, BSD is highly compatible.
            Stallman was one of the first people who publicly called mobile phones spying devices. And was laughed on, until Snowden proved it.
            The GPL is also incompatible with freedom, the idiots can't even update to a newer version of the same license. Hah!

Enjoy your shackles GPL slut. I'm just glad Snowden is out of reach for you murderous, freedom-hating, false-flag shills.

Superior intellect? GPL sluts?
            I have only one explanation to this - your head already reached integer overfollow and became a black hole.
            It already literally sucks and blows. Both ways.

See, your head is already derailing the topic with it. I am not sure that forum rules allow *that* much of a "sucking".
            Oh how cute, you try to make yourself look intelligent but your Neanderthal-level grasp of English just makes you look like the uneducated stooge that you are. Integer "overfollow", hahahahahaha.

I should thank you however, for adding your name to the long list of GPL sluts that I have completely and utterly annihilated with the genius of Truth, for $19.99 I can send you a certificate.

Go back to school kid.

Comment

The future of BSD looks good. All BSD technological innovation can be utilized by every person on the globe, while getting nothing in come back from the GPL camping and only partially getting from organizations. So without these dependencies, BSD seems to be successful in its own way. FreeBSD growth certainly became more exciting over the past several years.

Comment

Minor correction about what GPL really says about 'making code public'

Originally posted by profoundWHALE View Post
                In this particular case I was referring to the OS, like FreeBSD -> PS4 OS

But you are right that Linux can also be taken and used in such a way too like say Android, but any changes to the kernel that they made (if I remember right) would have to be made public. Some people just aren't comfortable with that.
                It is not true that GPLed code needing to be made 'public'. Very precisely, GPLed source must be offered/given (by the distributor of the binaries) to those who have been given binaries. There is no need to 'make the GPLed code public.' The real motivation for giving modified GPLed source to the net at large are pretty much the same reasons for giving modified BSDed source to the net at large: for support by the larger net-based development teams.

There has been this misunderstanding about GPL relative to BSD-like licenses since GPL was created, and was perhaps one reason for the success of GPL advocacy.

Relative to BSD, the biggest legal advantage for those who get GPL binaries is that the customer (those who receive the GPL binaries) can definitely get the source, and the customer can theoretically support the code themselves. The reality is that complex pieces of software are very complex (can be challenging) to properly support, and using the net at large (or the originator of the binaries) is advantageous anyway.

Comment

This is incorrect. Recent revisions of GCC have improved debugging information quality beyond of LLVM.
                  It is only stagnant on BSD and Apple, which stayed with outdated GPL2 version. Its their problem - not only the BSD platform is undermanned and bugged, it is also highly license intolerant.

Since when has windumbs become *internet*? In fact, one can extrapolate BSD helped microsoft to start internet conquest via infamous IE EEE.
                  Thanks for sharing buddy.

Comment

Working...
                  X