Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu Is Short On Developer Membership Board Nominations

Phoronix: Ubuntu Is Short On Developer Membership Board Nominations

Ubuntu is in need of more Developer Membership Board nominations for those interested. There were three DMB seats being opened up for expiring terms but there have been insufficient nominations to date...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Community dying?

Is it the community dying?
    Nobody wants to get involved, no new people come in, its to hard to try the waters, etc.

CLA keeps developers away...

More and more Ubuntu development is behind CLA and closed doors.
    Less and less transparency and openness.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
      Is it the community dying?
      Nobody wants to get involved, no new people come in, its to hard to try the waters, etc.

CLA keeps developers away...

More and more Ubuntu development is behind CLA and closed doors.
      Less and less transparency and openness.
      Don't think the CLA matters much. I like Ubuntu a lot, and Kubuntu even more, but why would you really want to chose Ubuntu as a distribution for community work when Canonical (and I can fully understand them) needs to focus more and more on their core product and base everything around it (e.g. the new Unity8/Mir stack). E.g. it isn't even clear if there's gonna be a 14.10 release. I don't feel like they are less transparent nowadays, to be honest I think they're actually really good at keeping everyone in the know re: what they're working on, but sometimes they need to make decisions and those might not always be pleasant ones for regular Linux desktop users.

But hey, 14.04 LTS is shaping up to be excellent and with the hardware enablement stacks/PPAs one should be good to go to keep using Ubuntu even if Unity8/Mir needs a lot more time.

Comment

Why would there not be a 14.10 release?

Comment

Originally posted by jonnor View Post
          Why would there not be a 14.10 release?
          I think he meant that Mir wouldn't appear in 14.10 since Jono said it would be either 14.10 or 15.04..

Comment

Working...
          X