Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Valve Is Now Giving Away Their Games To Ubuntu Developers

Phoronix: Valve Is Now Giving Away Their Games To Ubuntu Developers

Since last month Valve has been giving away free access to all their games on Steam to Debian developers. That program has now been expanded and Valve's free Linux games will also be made available to Ubuntu developers...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Do Ubuntu Members next!

Comment

Originally posted by gQuigs View Post
      Do Ubuntu Members next!
      Linux market share is small enough as is. Making potential profits even smaller by giving away all past, present, and future games for free to users of Debian or Ubuntu is madness. I therefore conclude that you are merely joking.

Comment

Originally posted by FutureSuture View Post
        Linux market share is small enough as is. Making potential profits even smaller by giving away all past, present, and future games for free to users of Debian or Ubuntu is madness. I therefore conclude that you are merely joking.
        I highly doubt Valve's plan is to make money out of current Linux userbase.
        This is about independece of Microsoft and Windows with rising importance of Android/Tablets mobile devices. A world Microsoft doesn't fit quite well ...

Comment

Now Ubuntu developers can wait for Portal 2 and Counter-Strike: Global Offensive just like Debian developers!

Comment

Quick estimate

a quick estimate from planet ubuntu is that there are about 400 Ubuntu members. I didn't mean Ubuntu users. Membership requires sustained contributions to the Ubuntu project...

Although to be fair, it would likely be even harder to verify as a lot of us don't use GPG, etc...

Comment

Better numbers from LP

Ubuntu Members: 760
              Ubuntu developers: ~250

Comment

They should do the same for people who have at least 5 commits to the kernel. Not speaking out of self-interest here.

Comment

Well, at least this is more appropriate than giving them out to Debian developers was.

Comment

Fedora

I hope they give this offer to Fedora, openSUSE and Mageia developers too.

Comment

Working...
                    X