The Godot Engine Is Now Open-Source

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by curaga View Post
    Godot engine was GLES2, targeted for mobile. So in its current state no, it won't make crysis graphics.
    Godot really squeezes out GLES2 really well though, so you may be surprised what you can do with it. The plan is to add a GLES3 renderer in April, which should allow for much higher graphics quality effects (Hardware Instancing, Hardware Particle Systems, GI using LPV, SSAO, Real HDR, Billboard Reflections, Variance Shadow Maps, etc, etc etc), all impossible with GLES2.

Comment

I haven't had the time to give the engine a truly thorough look, but what I'm seeing is interesting.

I'm pretty used to an entity/component system and the idea that components create renderables which are managed by the scenegraph. That entities are created directly as (various types of) scene nodes, and various nodes such as MeshInstance (or armature + skeleton etc...), SFX, Collision proxies etc are attached as children feels pretty old-school to me. This is an example, IMO, of a scenegraph trying to do too much. Most people use Cocos2D this way however, so I suppose this would be a fairly easy transition to them (and Godot can indeed be positioned against Cocos2D in the 2D realm).

Overall, I like it. It's easy to understand and easy to use. Incredibly portable too. Improvements can be made of course, particularly in the script editor which is necessary because no external IDE supports GDScript (yet?). Also the GUI editor is very primitive. Honestly I wouldn't position it against Unity just yet for 3D games, but in the 2D realm positioned against Cocos2D, Corona, SpriteKit etc this is an amazing engine that exceeds their functionality.

Looking forward to spending more time with it.

Comment

Originally posted by siavashserver
        For desktop, right? And how much different is GLES2/3 from ... OGL3 core profile for example? (Programming side)
        ES3 is not much different, ES2 is more limited. But the issue with making desktop games with it is the blob support, both blobs have bad GLES support. A commercial game that only ran on FOSS drivers wouldn't really sell much, would you say?

Comment

Originally posted by siavashserver
          For desktop, right? And how much different is GLES2/3 from ... OGL3 core profile for example? (Programming side)
          It should work on both mobile and deskop, since it's pretty much DX10 level of features.. though all those features together may be too much for mobile devices released this year.
          GLES3 lacks some features, but luckily those are not as important nowadays, like geometry shaders.

Comment

Even though this is probably just a mistake of the security company Symantec, I'd like to point out to their report on the website of the Godot engine:

I hope it is just a misunderstanding and the developers of Godot will sort this out soon.
            It would be nice if the developers could clear up matters in this case.

Comment

wow, what a scam from symantec, I never thought that company could fall lower than it already did.

Comment

Originally posted by Juan Linietsky View Post
                wow, what a scam from symantec, I never thought that company could fall lower than it already did.
                I'm glad you could sort things out with Symantec.
                The Godot Engine looks really promising, I'll probably give it a try tomorrow.

Comment

1.0 stable version of Godot has been released

Comment

Upcoming (not stable yet): HTML5

Is Webgl coming? Also cool engine!!

Comment

Working...
                    X